Keg Position?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Battery_BreweryNJ

Reaction score
Do corney kegs have to be stored upright or can they be laid on their side?
I might be getting an awesome commercial under the counter freezer, but im not sure if the kegs will fit in it upright.

In reality, they are made to flow from the bottom.

In a theory world, if you were to lay them down you would REALLY need to change the direction of the longer dip tube, but it's really not advisable...45 degrees is doable, but you would have to pay strict attention to detail.

Where are you in Jersey? I'm from Camden originally.

I wouldn't put them on their side, but the 45 degree idea is an interesting one. Beer would probably carb a lot faster, with more surface area available.

i have dispensed from a keg that was laying down before, but only for a short period of time. I would imagine if you bent the tip of the dip tube and had something under the top side of the keg to keep a slight angle under the keg it would be fine.

I'd just imagine that a perfectly flat keg would not dispense ALL of the beer.

If you were always going to keep these kegs on their side I'd say cut the dip tube short and bend it to the back bottom corner then keep your kegs at like a 3% grade (just put a block of wood under the front) and that way you'd get all but the last few ounces

I've seen some Firestone kegs that use a straight dip tube that ends in a well on the bottom edge, not in the center.
That would probably work without modification, you'd just need to make sure the beer out side was on the bottom. If the top was even slightly elevated you wouldn't leave any beer behind.

homebrewer_99 said:
In reality, they are made to flow from the bottom.

In a theory world, if you were to lay them down you would REALLY need to change the direction of the longer dip tube, but it's really not advisable...45 degrees is doable, but you would have to pay strict attention to detail.

Where are you in Jersey? I'm from Camden originally.

Brick Twp, its near Pt. Pleasent(aka The Shore)

Thanks For all the insight guys, i might try angling it 1st and see how that works, before i modify any pieces on the keg.

Back