Keg only holds pressure above 15-20 psi

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Creepersale

Reaction score
I have one pin lock keg. That does not like to hold pressure if I keep co2 line off , unless its higher pressure. Because I would like to carb a keg then store at room temp at a lower pressure. So would that just be the poppets ? And if so will the universal poppets work for my pin lock ?

Where is it leaking? Why do you assume it's the poppets? I'd pressurize the keg then dunk it in a tub or something to see exactly where it's leaking. In most cases, leaking at lower pressures is around the lid. Keg lube on the lid o-ring should help a lot, if it's beat up you can put a new one on there.

I have one pin lock keg. That does not like to hold pressure if I keep co2 line off So would that just be the poppets ? And if so will the universal poppets work for my pin lock ?

Yes, that would indicate a leaking poppet, I have ballocks and have no problems with the universal ones. I keep a half dozen on hand for Justin Case.

I agree, definitely a poppet. And it could be either poppet if the testing was done with an empty keg. Do a soap bubble test to verify which (or both) is leaking.

Some pin lock kegs should work fine with a universal poppet. Check the kegconnection site for pin lock poppet styles to see what you might be able to use...

Cheers!

Ah I didn't read closely enough. Still, I think it's worth verifying that it's the poppet. It could be that you just aren't noticing the leak (if it's very slow) while the gas is connected.

Thanks for some help , but here are some results. No bubbles with s-San @ 30 psi. At 8-10 psi , it seemed I'm getting an ultra slow leak from lid which did have keg lube on o- ring. So I have noticed the lid on this keg is weaker when locking down. Is there anything I can do to make the lock down stiffer ? Or buy new lid ?

By the way it makes sense to me that it doesn't leak at 30 psi if it forcing it closed. But at lower pressure the lid lock doesn't have enough balls to suck it up. Lol if that makes sense to anybody else. Hopefully I can just bend the feet in some way to make it tighter.

Yep, that's your best bet. Need to bend those feet so that the lid exerts more pressure when it's it's in the locked position. When you put 30 psi on it, that gas pressure is helping to force the lid up on the rim of the mouth, creating the seal.

Other option might be checking if the main opening is deformed. If so you could try gently bending that back into shape with pliers.

I guess the coin worked. I put some penny's under feet last night with about 8 psi or less and no leaks as of now. So I'm glad ill be able to store beer a little long at low pressure. Thanks.

Cheers !!

Back