Keg not sealing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jmac93

Reaction score
My ball lock corny will not seal. I bought some used. Will only seal when I put a great deal of pressure in it, resulting in over carbed beer. I have switched out the lids, same problem and used keg lube, nothing works... Any suggestions? Much appreciated.

I often find that to seal my kegs I need to hit it with 20-30 PSI. Once the seal is made, I purge the air out a few times, wait for pressure to equalize, and the I dial the regulator back down to my desired carb pressure, set and forget. Eventually the pressure in the keg will drop down to what the regulator is set at as the beer carbs, and the seal should stay.

Are there any visible dents in the rim of the keg? Have you tried replacing the rubber gasket?

After you fill the keg you need to set the lid in place, without the lock on and hit it with a good 20-30 psi and the pressure will seat the lid nice and firm, then lock it in place. Relieve the pressure and then proceed with set and forget or force carb, whichever method you use.

If you lock the lid down first it may not be seating properly. Also be sure your gaskets and O rings are in good shape and the lid/keg isn't bent anywhere at the opening.

Once you find a lid that seals with a keg keep them paired, I have some that just don't mix and match well. If you continue to have trouble take it to your LHBS, they should have some you can try and buy right at the store if they aren't too stingy with their CO2. I find they are more willing to help helps if you are buying ingredients or a mess of fittings at the same time.

Have you replaced the o-rings (both lid and posts) yet?

Also, if the lid latch is kind of loose or worn out, you may try putting a penny under each of the legs.

Inspect the surfaces of the keg and the lid where they meet with the lid o-ring. Look for dents, warping, or scratches that could be causing a bad seal. Make sure the lid o-ring is in good condition. Also make sure the lid clamp is putting enough pressure on the lid when clamped in place. The legs tend to splay out over time, and no longer lock the lid into place as tightly. You can use some vice grips and channel locks to bend them back into place. If you're not comfortable bending the legs, a coin under each foot can sometimes work just as well, as mentioned above. Most of my kegs were discounted because they were so beat up and abused, but with a little tinkering and care, they all seal air tight even without applying any internal pressure.

Thanks for the responses. I don't think it it the lid, since I have the same issue with other lids on this keg. Believe it is the keg. Have not changed out the gaskets, but that's because I thought it was the keg. No visible dents warping, etc. I'll try the dimes under the legs, maybe that'll work.

I did notice that when I jacked up the PSIs it sealed, but it over carbed the beer. I didn't think I could reduce the PSIs to a normal level and it would remain sealed. I'll try that with some water in the kegs.

Thanks for the responses. I don't think it it the lid, since I have the same issue with other lids on this keg. Believe it is the keg. Have not changed out the gaskets, but that's because I thought it was the keg. No visible dents warping, etc. I'll try the dimes under the legs, maybe that'll work.

I did notice that when I jacked up the PSIs it sealed, but it over carbed the beer. I didn't think I could reduce the PSIs to a normal level and it would remain sealed. I'll try that with some water in the kegs.

I suspect that a set of O-rings and keg lube will solve your problem.

I have one that is very stubborn. When the lid is on i can actually push down the lid up to 3/4 inch. I use nickels for under the feet, keglube, and high pressure to seal and it will hold pressure. I have tried replacement lids as well. I kinda stopped using it as it is a PITA. I think I am going to go for the alternate O-ring and keep the nickles and try it out again.

Back