Keg newbie...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bonneville

Reaction score
So, I got a kegging system for Xmas. :mug: The basics are:

New 5 lb Aluminum CO2 tank, a brand new 5 gallon soda keg, a new dual gauge cornelius regulator, a gas side connector and tubing, a 10' long 3/16" i.d. dispensing set-up with connectors and cobra-head tap

Any advice and do's/don'ts for kegging the next batch? Sanitation advice? Common problems? Etc. It seems simple enough, but that's usually when the trouble starts....

Thanks.

A good leak check on the gas side is worth it. The gas is relatively cheap, but you don't want to be filling your tank again just because of a leak.

I also never leave my gas on to the keg. I turn the valve on at the regulator until the kegs are pressurized, then I turn it off and only open it every couple days to re-charge. I have had a leak or two, and this keeps the tank from pissing away.

Start saving, because you will be buying more and more kegging stuff in the near future.

Otherwise, happy pulling!

Check for leaks with soapy water or star-san solution. Look for bubbles to indicate the presence of leaks. It the lid doesn't seal rotate it 180* and try again.

If you want to force carbonate you really can't turn the CO2 tank off and recharge everyday or so unless you want to take a month to carbonate.

Check valves or gas valves with built in check valves are a good investment to keep from getting beer in your regulator.

http://www.usplastic.com/catalog/va...ory_name=45&product_id=15641&variant_id=64174

+1 on the start saving and reason is several fold...

You'll want a kegerator...
You'll want several on tap at a time...
You'll need more kegs...
You'll drink more beer...
You'll brew more beer!!!

But keep going and never look back!

Chello said:
+1 on the start saving and reason is several fold...

You'll want a kegerator...
You'll want several on tap at a time...
You'll need more kegs...
You'll drink more beer...
You'll brew more beer!!!

But keep going and never look back!

I agree! I'm neck deep in brew stuff and I just roll in it like a pile of money, while my girlfriend (who appreciates my hobby and drinks my beer) goes crazy because I am constantly reading my brew books, and making recipes. I brew twice a month, every other weekend, every weekend, twice a weekend! I enjoy it so much, Ive got 5 carboys and a kegerator with 2 kegs. Five months ago I was just thinking about brewing my own beer and reading a little bit on the subject.:rockin:

Ill stop throwing this thread :off: I just got excited

Dave the Brewer said:
Five months ago I was just thinking about brewing my own beer and reading a little bit on the subject.:rockin:
Ill stop throwing this thread :off: I just got excited

I love getting excited about brewing...I'm the same way, i started in late August 2007 and I've brewed 25, 30 gallons, have more on the way, have a two keg kegerator, a few books, the whole nine yards!

yay for over zealous brewers! :tank:

Thanks for the advice guys.

I also share your enthusiasm. I'm 6 months and 35 gallons into it. So long as the girlfriend enjoys the brews, everyone is happy.

Back