Keg maintenance while on vaca...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bulls Beers

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I'm going on vacation soon, and I was wondering if I should Keep the gas on while I'm away or shut the gas off? I assuming I should also leave the gas in the kegs too..

Dude said:
Balance your system and you should never have to worry about this.

+1...I never think about it. If anything, vacation is a great time for me to carb since I won't touch the beer...

IF you've any doubts about the balance and air-tightness:

Shut off the manifolds and close the regulator. Even close the main valve on the tank.

Disconnect the gas hose from the corny.

(You may want to give the kegs a quick 20 pound blast to shut those seals tighter than a knats ass.)

This will insure that the only place you risk loss of gas is out of the corny (which you can replace).

If your corny is tight, your carb levels will be the same as when you left.

IF you leave it all hooked up and turned on, I'd think 7-8 PSI is more than enough for maintenance. You don't want to come back to over-gassed kegs.

BierMuncher said:
IF you leave it all hooked up and turned on, I'd think 7-8 PSI is more than enough for maintenance. You don't want to come back to over-gassed kegs.

I'm not disagreeing, but how would they be over-gassed? Shouldn't they just reach equilibrium?

I'd only shut off the gas if you are paranoid about your tap faucets leaking. with the gas off, you'd only dispense a few pints before you lost sufficient pressure.

(i'm thinking picnic taps, or regular tap faucets if anyone or any animal could possible bump it open)

Back