Keg Lube for Bucket Lid O-Ring

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ncbrewer

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
My fermeter is a bucket - the lid has a rubber O-ring for sealing. I would like to get some keg lube to apply to the O-ring to improve the seal. The plan is to apply a thin coat of keg lube and then dunk the O-ring in Star San, then put it into the grove in the lid. Is keg lube the sort of material that will stay on the O-ring when dunked in Star San?

Yes keg lube should remain after starsan, but I wouldn’t be concerned if you didn’t sanitize again after applying the keg lube....your fermenting beer won’t be that high in the bucket regardless...rdwhahb

Think of keg lube not as a sort of "caulk" that will prevent leaks, but rather as something that helps the o-ring or seal slide into place so it works properly.

And yes, it'll help. I think it's not a bad habit to sanitize almost everything. At worst, it does nothing; at best, it limits the growth of stuff that otherwise might be transferred to surfaces that DO touch the beer.

Back