Keg Lube Alternatives

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

physast

Reaction score
I was at Ace Hardware and found this "Super Lube" that is USDA approved. I believe it has a rating of h-1 for food contact.

Has anyone ever used this to lube there keg parts?

Thanks
Charlie

No, but I use something like that for lubing some of my kitchen equipment, like stand mixers, sausage grinder, etc.

What needs to be lubed on a keg?

I use it to lube the 5 gallon corny kegs o-rings to help them seal and to prolong life.

Keg Lube is 100% food grade silicone grease. Most of the parts don't even really come into contact with the beer. Like the dip tube o-rings and lid o-ring.
And the poppet is pretty small...not a lotta lube needed there.

Keg Lube is 100% food grade silicone grease. Most of the parts don't even really come into contact with the beer. Like the dip tube o-rings and lid o-ring.

I decided to go ahead and use the Super Lube. It has the same USDA rating as the keg lube and petrol gel and like you said it's not in too much contact wit the beer.

Thanks for all the responses!
Charlie

You can get it in the plumbing section at home depot in little flip top containers.
They've got the regular old yellow plumbing grease, as well as the silicone though, so don't get them mixed up.
The silicone stuff is a much smaller container than the traditional plumbing grease, and about 2 or 3 times more expensive.

I think kahlua and evan had different ideas of what kahlua was talking about. ahahahahaha

Srsly, i got some online for like $5. Considering how often it's used, I'll probably have it forever, but if I ever run out, I'll just order it with my next online order

Back