Keg line balancing issue

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jivetyrant

Reaction score
So I kegged my Gratzer earlier this week and carbed to the recommended 3.6 volumes, which gives me a head pressure of about 24psi. I ordered a 3/16 polyethylene draft line that is 11' long, the manufacturer lists line resistance as 2.2psi/ft. I'm dispensing with a cobra tap that stays in the fridge. The equation I am using for calculating draft line length is as follows:

Length = keg pressure (24) -1 (apparently cobra taps create about 1psi of resistance) / line resistance (2.2 psi/ft). There is no elevation to take into account. So, the equation should be

Length = (24 - 1)/2.2 = 10.45.

I cut my line to 10.5', I am using a ball lock, 1/4" flared fitting and just crammed the line over it. The line is coiled up into a roughly 1' circle, and is sitting more of less on top of the keg.

All seems well on paper, but the beer shoots out of the draft line like a fire hydrant! Did I miss something? This will be the first time I've tried kegging a highly carbonated beer so I'm a bit lost. Does anyone else have experience with this?

i haven't had much luck calculating tube lengths. i serve my wit bier with a 20' beer line and it's just barely enough. there are some threads around about using an epoxy stirrer in the dip tube for additional restriction. that may be worth a look.

All of those balancing equations/calculators are only applicable when serving beer very cold and close to the carb level of commercial beers. One of the main reasons for this is that line resistance isn't a fixed number for a given line, but actually varies depending on fluid velocity. As mentioned above, you're going to need to add a lot of line resistance for a beer carbed that highly. Either really long lines, epoxy mixer sticks in the diptube, a flow control faucet, or combination of the above. Also, poly lines offer significantly less resistance than vinyl, FWIW.

Back