keg lids will not SEAL

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kevmoron

Reaction score
ARRRRGGGGHHH!!!

I have three different kegs that have the same damned problem, and I can't figure out why. They were all shipped to me pressurized, but after cleaning them out and replacing all the O-rings (and lubing the lid O-ring), I can not get them to hold pressure. They all leak at the lid.

For each of them, the opening seems to leave a small gap on one side or in a particular spot where the gas escapes. I'm not sure why it is a giving me a problem now, when they obviously worked when they were shipped.

Any tips on getting a lid to seal? The most common advice I have seen is to replace the O-ring and lube it, and I have already done this.

Did you mix up the lids between the kegs? The lids seem to like one keg and one keg only. Also, they like going in the same direction every time. Did you try flipping the lids the other direction? Once you find the direction they want to be, mark a line with a permanent marker so you know which way to line up the lid with the keg.

Also, I would recommend some food grade silicon to coat the O rings. I don't do it all the time but if they are drying out I re-coat them with just a little. It keeps them pliable and helps with creating good seals.
Now I do have one keg where the post just will not seal against the CO2 pin lock even with a larger O ring, that I had to retire to bulk ageing meads, ciders, or big beers.
Best of luck.

yes - tried silicon lube
yes - shot 30 psi into it to try to seal it
yes - tried turning the lid 180 degrees
no - had not mixed up the lids, but i have tried switching them between kegs, and it doesn't help.

Throw the o-rings in some boiling water to soften them up then give it a try while they are still warm.

Pat

What I do for one particularly finicky keg is to get some pressure in there and press around the lid while it's locked down to seal it. On mine, the lip around where the lid clamps to is just a hair out of whack on one side. Pressing down and scooting the lid towards that imperfection in the lip seats it every time.

I had one Keg where the plastic feet on the lid had worn down due to the friction between the feet and keg body when pulling the lever to seal the lid. When the lid is closed, the feet force the lid up and into the seal. After substantail wear, they will no longer create enough force to maintain a proper seal. With mine, the lid would eventually seat at 40 lbs or so but had issues at the normal 10 - 12 lbs carbonating pressures. I tried to bend the frame a little to cause more force when the lever is closed, but that didnt seem to help. I wound up purchasing a new set of feet online and had it shipped. That particular keg seals fine now. More beer sells them I think for $0.95.

Back