Keg leaking from Poppet/Liquid connection. Please help.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Grad

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I have my first corny keg of cider carbed in the fridge and its a wonderful thing. I've been serving from it for a few days and all has been well. My issue is that I accidentally unhooked the liquid line instead of the gas line when I was trying to use the CO2 tank for something else and now there is a very slow leak of cider coming out of the connection. The tap still works fine after being reconnected.

Its not a huge deal considering how little its leaking however I'm fairly confused as to why it won't stop leaking since it seems to be connected properly and I have kind of pushed the connector down and fiddled with it to try and stop the leak. I assume that the pin has become lodged out of place but don't know how to fix it.

If anyone has advice on how to stop the leak I would appreciate their input.

Thanks,
Grad

I don't think a pic will help much. The lines are hooked up properly and the leak is very slow. I've put some paper towel under the keg to catch the leaking cider but you probably wouldn't even see the dampness because it's such a slow leak. I'm just wondering if there is anything I can do to stop the leak but I'm also just trying to understand why it's happening since I'm literally brand new to kegging. The liquid out line is definitely hooked up properly which is why I don't think posting a pic makes sense. Do you have any idea as to why it might be leaking?
Thanks

Again, a pic could help. We don't know how your system is setup. Barb vs mfl? Pin/ball. Where is the leak? From the poppet? Base of the post? If you have 1 leak, it could be isolated or there could be more. You risk oxidation, loss of co2 and loss of your cider.

A spray bottle with some soap can help, the escaping gas should form soap bubbles. But without knowing more about your setup, we can only guess. A pic provides another diagnostic tool.

I get what your saying. Here is a pic. You can see the glare off of the cider thats leaking down the side. It's a pin lock keg if that helps. It's just confusing that its leaking because it didn't leak for the first 2 days. I'm guessing it's because I took the line off of the liquid post. Anyways let me know what you're thinking after seeing the pic,
Thanks

Attachments

• 20181005_021212.jpg
    20181005_021212.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 83
You said it leaks with the liquid line disconnected, leaking from the poppet? And it still leaks with the liquid QD connected?

I would disconnect the black QD and unscrew the back screw on top to make sure its clean then reassemble it. If it's still leaking with the line disconnected you may have a bad o-ring on the poppet or the post is loose.

I would also turn off the gas when not in use. Don't want to pour a pint only to find out there is an empty tank.

i had leaks from bev out, bad poppets. universals are cheap to replace with. looks like a used keg, not sure if they replace the poppets when they say gaskets replaced?

Back