Keg kit missing pieces??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk:

Ludesbrews

Reaction score
All,

I got a keg kit recently that came with everything needed to start.

That said, when I threw it together, it seemed as though I was missing a barbed swivel to put on the quick disconnect for the out line, so I bought one. Works fine.

Also, the kit came with 2 lines- one 5/16” for the gas, and another 3/16” for the beer.

I was CERTAIN that the 3/16” for the beer was a mistake, as it can’t fit neither the barbed swivel nor the picnic faucet.

Am I going crazy? Is it possible to use the 3/16” for the beer line??? If so, how?? It seems impossible!

Thanks

zipfly

Reaction score
Sounds like you're missing a 5/16" to 3/16" adaptor to fit into the ball lock disconnect

camonick

Mediocre brewer... Expert drinker
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I use the same method as @BrewerBrad82 to install my 3/16 beer hose on all barbed fittings. When it cools, you really don't need hose clamps but can use them for insurance. How long is your 3/16 beer tubing? I'll bet it isn't nearly long enough and we'll be seeing a post from you soon about foamy pours. Depending on your desired serving/carbonation pressure, you will need a minimum of 1 foot/ psi of pressure... even longer is better in my opinion. I live in Colorado and because of the elevation, to achieve good carb levels in my beer, I carbonate and serve at 14 psi. My 3/16 lines are about 16-18' long.

bracconiere

Jolly Alcoholic
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I use the same method as @BrewerBrad82 to install my 3/16 beer hose on all barbed fittings. When it cools, you really don't need hose clamps but can use them for insurance. How long is your 3/16 beer tubing? I'll bet it isn't nearly long enough and we'll be seeing a post from you soon about foamy pours. Depending on your desired serving/carbonation pressure, you will need a minimum of 1 foot/ psi of pressure... even longer is better in my opinion. I live in Colorado and because of the elevation, to achieve good carb levels in my beer, I carbonate and serve at 14 psi. My 3/16 lines are about 16-18' long.
damn here at 4500ft, i might have to upgrade/downgrade(whatever:)) my 1/4" line...thanks for the tip!

kh54s10

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
With the picnic taps that came with my kit. No swivel, I believe they were 3/16th inch. They were already assembled and only about 3 ft long. No problems - no foaming. When I went to faucets I went with, I believe 1/4 inch and 10 ft. They also do not foam. Near sea level.

camonick

HBT Supporter
Reaction score
damn here at 4500ft, i might have to upgrade/downgrade(whatever:)) my 1/4" line...thanks for the tip!
I'm on the eastern plains (no mountains) and coincidentally I'm sitting at 4450 feet at my house. I have 2 standard Intertap faucets that have the 18' lines and one regular "bar" faucet that has the 16' line. The Intertaps seem to have a little less restriction than the other faucet. I struggled for a long time with foamy pours until I put a long line on one faucet to test it. It was amazing how much difference it made. My hoses are all 3/16" Bevlex 200.

camonick

HBT Supporter
Reaction score
With the picnic taps that came with my kit. No swivel, I believe they were 3/16th inch. They were already assembled and only about 3 ft long. No problems - no foaming. When I went to faucets I went with, I believe 1/4 inch and 10 ft. They also do not foam. Near sea level.
What pressure do you carb/serve at?

bracconiere

Jolly Alcoholic
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I struggled for a long time with foamy pours until I put a long line on one faucet to test it. It was amazing how much difference it made. My hoses are all 3/16" Bevlex 200.
i moved here from 1500ft, and haven't even thought of my line and restriction.....just started carbing and serving at 8 psi now.....lol

william_shakes_beer

Reaction score
I use 3/16 beer line on 1/4 hose barbs. As stated above, boil a cup of water in the microwave, dip the hose into it and force it on. It seals quite nicely and, although I put on aviator clamps I probably could go naked if I wished. Only down side is when its time to remove, you need to cut it off.