Keg issues

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

derrabe

Reaction score
I am very new to kegging and I bought 4 used 5gal ball lock kegs and two fo them are fine but two of them I am having issues with the gas stem.

The first it seems to hiss like it is leaking when the gas line is hooked up. The same gas line works fine on other kegs no hiss. And when I remove the gas line the hiss goes away.

The second one the gas button in the center of the stem sticks so when I remove the gas line the button sticks down in the post. Does any know how to resolve either of these issues? Sorry if these are easy fixes just experienced these last night while trying to keg a few ciders.

Problem #1, sounds like you've got a bad o-ring on the exterior of the gas-in post. Does the post itself look dented or damaged? If not, you can just replace the o-ring. Worst case scenario, replace the entire post.

Problem #2, you can replace the poppet. I've got a keg with a similar issue, and if I poke at the poppet a little with a screwdriver, I can get it to seat properly and seal the keg.

But with a combination of both of these problems, it might be less hassle for you to just replace the whole gas-in post assembly, including the poppet.

I've had kegs with leaky poppets on both the gas and beer sides. I tried some keg lube as a last resort before buying replacement parts, and it seems to have helped the o-rings seal up properly. Might be worth a shot.

Your first issue sounds like you need a new gas post o-ring.

Second issue I would remove post and poppet and clean everything, once clean, lube every piece of rubber and put back together.

On as side note, first thing I do when I get a used keg is fill it with water and pressurize it and flip it over and look for leaks. I had one that didn't hiss but dripped from the lid o-ring even after rebuilding with all new o-rings.

2nd issue: Definitely clean that QD, and lubricate the poppet's o-ring. The o-ring can be removed and even replaced. I run my thumbnail along the "top" edge and it will flip over the ridge. Make sure the poppet is facing the right way, and not upside down. Don't lose that flat o-ring that seals the screw top. A little lube is good there too.

Back