Keg is pressurized but not carbonating

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

iijakii

Reaction score
So I left a keg on gas for a week and then pulled a pint... not carbed at all. But the odd thing is that it is staying pressurized. I replaced the gas connections (both hose and keg) going to it from one of my spares, and still nothing. Have squirted all fittings and connections and can't find any leaks. CO2 tank isn't empty.

Any idea of what is going on? Never have had this happen before.

So I left a keg on gas for a week and then pulled a pint... not carbed at all. But the odd thing is that it is staying pressurized. I replaced the gas connections (both hose and keg) going to it from one of my spares, and still nothing. Have squirted all fittings and connections and can't find any leaks. CO2 tank isn't empty.

Any idea of what is going on? Never have had this happen before.

What's the temperature of the kegerator, and how much psi is on the keg?

It fluctuates from mid-high 30s F. I actually did lower it before this keg though. Still the beer coming out isn't too cold or even near icy temperatures. Just put it back up a few degrees to see if that helps.

At first I had kept it on 30psi for a couple of days and then turned it to 15psi. Once I realized the problem I kicked it back up to 30psi after replacing the connections, that was two days ago.

I'm not worried about overcarbonating right now. It's not that I'm trying to rush it. It's simply not carbonating.

it takes longer than most folks suggest. The way to speed it up is NOT to up the pressure but to shake the hell out of it keeping the gas line attached. You will hear the regulator hiss as you shake. When the hissing stops, put it back in the kegerator and wait a few days and it'll be just right. Just hooking up the gas and walking away takes many weeks to carb no matter what others may say.

Yes I have checked for leaks and the keg is pressurized.

I know that to get proper carbonation it takes time. What I'm saying is that there's absolutely 0. Is my OP not clear?

Bleed the pressure relief on the keg. Does it immediately recover?

My beers are partially carbonated after 3 days at 10 psi and fully carbonated in less than 2 weeks.

Is it possible your CO2 tank is just about empty? I've had some weird things happen when I get near the end.

Is my OP not clear?

Are my directions not clear?

it takes longer than most folks suggest. The way to speed it up is NOT to up the pressure but to shake the hell out of it keeping the gas line attached. You will hear the regulator hiss as you shake. When the hissing stops, put it back in the kegerator and wait a few days and it'll be just right. Just hooking up the gas and walking away takes many weeks to carb no matter what others may say.

Bleed the pressure relief on the keg. Does it immediately recover?

My beers are partially carbonated after 3 days at 10 psi and fully carbonated in less than 2 weeks.

Good idea. CO2 kicked on immediately. Guess my regulator isn't at fault.

Yeah my CO2 tank is getting low, but it's not empty yet. I weighed it and there was well over a pound left. Back when I was first diagnosing I turned on one of my empty manifold ports and CO2 rushed out highly pressurized, so wasn't thinking it was due to it being empty. I guess that's a possibility though. Occam's razor and everything ;).

Shaffer: I get what you're trying to say but that's not what I'm asking. This isn't my first keg, I know how long it takes to carbonate. It's been about a week and a half now - it should show signs of carbonation.

If the fridge is in the mid 30s, and the beer isn't cold, I think that's the issue. Cold beer will absorb the co2 and carb up better. But, why isn't the keg cold if it's in a 35 degree fridge? :drunk: That doesn't make any sense to me.

Just a thought for you to consider. Sometimes the beer can have a hop oil film on the top surface. The co² does not penetrate the layer so carbonation does not happen.

Not saying this is you situation but it is a possibility. Shaking the keg periodically would be one of 2 possible fixes. The second would be to hook the co² up through the beer out disconnect. This way it is added through the bottom.

Just a thought for you to consider. Sometimes the beer can have a hop oil film on the top surface. The co² does not penetrate the layer so carbonation does not happen.

ive never heard of this before, you have any evidence or info links to share?

Back