Keg into a keggle - newbie question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bdaddy

Reaction score
I found a keg that the owner says has old beer still in it. I assume this doesn't present a problem?
- it's not pressurized and will explode on me when I cut it open?
- any smell/stains I will be able to clean out with enough elbow grease/cleaning products?

Before cutting you will want to release the pressure by holding down the ball in the top. Be ready for the beer shower. Then I would suggest removing the central spear. Theres directions on here somewhere its pretty easy.

Once you have the top out then I would cut it this way your sure there is no pressure inside.

I would say rinse with hot water/oxiclean and then scrub with a non steel brush or scouring pad.

First, read the wiki...

You MUST depressurize the keg prior to any cutting. Not doing so is asking for trouble.

Don't take the owner's word for it. Make sure. Either use a coupler or use a screw driver to depress the ball valve. Make sure you're out of the way of the skanky old beer evacuating the container.

After cutting and removing the lid, BKF will clean the insides out with no problem. It shouldn't be too grungy since it's had beer in it. Make sure you file the cut down before cleaning.

And beware....
5548d1211046312-keggle-questions-keggle_3.jpg

lay the keg on it side depress the ball with a screw driver this way very little beer if any will come out usually just the air.

Latest posts

Back