keg instead of corny

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JONNYROTTEN

Reaction score
So I just measured my fridge and a corny wont fit.(to tall)Its setup now with a 1/2 barrel ( D sanke). Im wondering if anyone uses a keg instead of a corny.I know I can get it open.Im just not sure if prying the ring out over and over will eventually damage something leading to it not holding pressure. Im obviously not opening it the same way the breweries do. Fridge is 25" H.I know I can get a shorty corny but I don't feel like spending the money right now.Plus Im doing 10 gallon batches so the bigger 1/2 barrel kinda seems like it would work out nice

There is an excellent write up somewhere here about removing and installing the spear.

You can also get a tap, rove the check valve on the air side, to fill using CO2 to push the beer.

This looks like it will work.He doesn't mention a part # or specific tool name.Anyone know what it called.I called harbor freight and they couldn't find it by what I was explaining.The c clamp is what im referring too[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=osJIlT6zp4Y&feature=player_embedded[/ame]

I use 1/4 barrel sanke kegs, which are the same height as 1/2 barrel sanke kegs. I have no problems taking them apart when I need too. I have a small flat tip screw driver that is it. Once you do it a few times you will wonder what the fuss is about. My 1/4 bl sanke kegs were bought brand new cheaper than new corney kegs (7.75gal vs 5 gal). Win-win. I can switch out commercial kegs with no equipment changes.

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ZPfZ_AL380[/ame]

Thanks,I ground down a screwdriver for a nice fit and got it out with just that and pliers.Did it a few times to be sure.Back to the original question.How long will the rings last.Has anyone ever needed to buy a new one

Ive had my kegs for a couple/few years and have yet to change them. In the post I linked, they have the McMaster Carr part number if you do need to replace.

As long as you do not twist or distort the ring you will get many many uses out of it.

Back