Keg Hops

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BGT Hophead

Reaction score
So I have a Double Red IPA sitting in the secondary ferm dry hopping and was reading a Papazian story about Jeff Bagby's "Hop Wompus"

APPARENTLY...Mr. Bagby places 3.oz of hops in a hop sack and throws it into his keg...forces carbination...and presents a brew that has a hop aroma you could smell from San Antonio

so I have this Hop Torpedo (better known as the brew infuser) and I got to wondering if I can make this Double Red IPA the hoppiest beer of all time...take 1oz Cascade, 1oz Liberty, and 1oz Warrior and place them in the Hop Torpedo and throw it in the Corenlious Keg

Has anybody else experimented with Keg Hops?

Thanks again for all of your advice everybody

Yup, do it all the time. If you are using pellets, some will escape and you will see bits in the first few pints. It will clear with time.

The only real debate you should have with yourself is whether or not you intend to leave the "keg hops" in until the keg is kicked or take them out after a prescribe number of days.

Some are concerned taht if left on the beer too long, hops will impart a grassy character into the beer.

The only time I have ever experienced this is when using a grassy hop to begin with, like an English variety. And it can actually be nice.

Back