Keg Help - Not Sure What's Happening

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rodrigcz08

Reaction score
So here is my situation I racked a pale ale into my keg on Sunday and set it to 40psi and let it sit for 24, then I lowered it to 20psi and let it sit for another 24 hours. Last night I lowered it to 10psi to try it and all I got was foam. I opened the keg, which I’m sure ill get blasted for doing, and it was all foam.

My thought it that I over carbonated it but I have never had that problem before. I also took out the out tube and poppets to make sure there were no issues and it still didn’t work. Has anyone ever had this problem before and if so is there a way to fix it?

My intention was to serve this beer tonight but that clearly won’t be happening, at this point I just want to know if I can salvage it or if I just should dump it.

I should also mention the temperature in the kegerator is as low as it can go. I know having it too high could cause a problem. Also, my beer lines as 5’ long.

Thoughts?

Theres no way the entire keg is foam.I also don't think your over carbed.I would let it sit at 10psi.I would think by tonight youll be drinkin it.DONT DUMP IT!!!

What temp was the beer when you started to carb?
The fridge temp (beer temp) is important to know.Youll need that number for your final psi setting

Don't dump it!!!

It's just over carbed. Disconnect the gas and periodically pull the PR valve. It'll be fine in no time. Maybe not by tonight but it'll be fine.

I would look a bit more into what pressure is recommended for 5' of whatever size line you have. I have 12' lines and 12psi is just about right.

Not sure what to do I released all the pressure in the keg this morning and set it at 10psi. I am at work right now so it will be sitting like that for probably another 8 hours.

Will this just increase the problem? I guess I should have shut the gas off and just let it rest.

Also, I cam across this thread https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=127655 not sure how well it would work but it seems work for everyone who tried it/

So here is my situation I racked a pale ale into my keg on Sunday and set it to 40psi and let it sit for 24, then I lowered it to 20psi and let it sit for another 24 hours. Last night I lowered it to 10psi to try it and all I got was foam. I opened the keg, which I’m sure ill get blasted for doing, and it was all foam.

My thought it that I over carbonated it but I have never had that problem before. I also took out the out tube and poppets to make sure there were no issues and it still didn’t work. Has anyone ever had this problem before and if so is there a way to fix it?

My intention was to serve this beer tonight but that clearly won’t be happening, at this point I just want to know if I can salvage it or if I just should dump it.

I should also mention the temperature in the kegerator is as low as it can go. I know having it too high could cause a problem. Also, my beer lines as 5’ long.

Thoughts?

^that's your issue

Disconnect the gas lines and depressurize the keg every few hours for a day or two, then set it at 10 psi for a few days to recarb, then get longer hoses. 1' per psi is the general rule

Not sure what to do I released all the pressure in the keg this morning and set it at 10psi. I am at work right now so it will be sitting like that for probably another 8 hours.

Will this just increase the problem? I guess I should have shut the gas off and just let it rest.

Also, I cam across this thread https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=127655 not sure how well it would work but it seems work for everyone who tried it/

That works really well. I just hook up the gas to the "out" and depressurize 8-10 times from the lid prv. Good to go in about 15 minutes!

I think you have two issues though. Over carbed, and your lines are probably too short. Average is a foot of 3/16" tubing per pound of pressure. Even longer if using 1/4" tubing...

Back