Keg Headspace

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PeteOz77

Reaction score
I should have asked this question earlier, befor I was gassing my 4th keg, but how much headspace do you guys allow in a cornie when force carbonating (or priming for that matter)?

If there isn't enough room for C02, you obviously cannot get enough into the canister to force it into the beer. The last keg I filled, I only left about 3 inches of headspace, and then had to gas it to around 4psi and shake it 5 times before the keg quit taking morre gas. Next day it took more etc.

So what's the correct amount of headspace to leave to allow for anough C02? Or should I just use multiple gas applications like I did last time?

It actually doesn't matter. As long as you have say 1/4" of headspace, you have the same amount of CO2 pressure at the same surface area. I just make sure the gas dip tube isn't submerged.

even if the gas dip tube is submerged, as CO2 is absorbed into the beer, the presure drops above the beer. As long as you are hooked up to a cylinder, it will just bubble through the submerged dip tube. I know this isn't the best practice, but I've had a few 5gal + a pint or two batches that I try to squeeze into the cornie... Havn't had a problem, yet...

Bobby_M said:
It actually doesn't matter. As long as you have say 1/4" of headspace, you have the same amount of CO2 pressure at the same surface area. I just make sure the gas dip tube isn't submerged.

OK, but the process I am using doesn't have a constant pressure from the gas bottle and I put the pressure back down to serning pressure and hook i tback up to the kegs.

I just go out a few times a day for a few days and swap the gas over to the newly filled keg and crank the pressure back up, gas the keg, then unhook it and shake it, gas it,again etc 3 times, then leave it sit another day.

Less head space just mean I can't get as much C02 in at a time, so it will just take more gasses and shakes to get it carbonated properly I guess.

I'll keep playing with it. ;)

Thanks again for the input guys!

PeteOz77 said:
OK, but the process I am using doesn't have a constant pressure from the gas bottle and I put the pressure back down to serning pressure and hook i tback up to the kegs.

I just go out a few times a day for a few days and swap the gas over to the newly filled keg and crank the pressure back up, gas the keg, then unhook it and shake it, gas it,again etc 3 times, then leave it sit another day.

Less head space just mean I can't get as much C02 in at a time, so it will just take more gasses and shakes to get it carbonated properly I guess.

I'll keep playing with it. ;)

Thanks again for the input guys!

Sure, it's kind of intuitive, the less beer you have, the faster it'll carbonate. So the less headspace, the longer it'll take. If you're setting the PSI to 12 and letting it sit for a week, you probably won't notice the difference.

PeteOz77 said:
...I just go out a few times a day for a few days and swap the gas over to the newly filled keg and crank the pressure back up, gas the keg, then unhook it and shake it, gas it,again etc 3 times, then leave it sit another day.
If you're using the "shake"method, the proper process involves leaving the gas line hooked up as you shake.
Connect gas.
Set at 25 PSI
Lay keg across lap and shake back & forth for 20-30 seconds and pause
When gas stops bubbling into the keg (you'll hear it), repeat another 20-30 second shake

Repeat this whole process about 4-5 times and then set back to 10PSI.
Wait several hours and test.

Just leave the CO2 on the keg you are forcing & only swap it back to the online keg(s) while drawing a pint. Once a keg is carbonated, you don't need to keep gas on it.

Back