Keg = Frozen! What to expect?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sonvolt

Reaction score
:eek: :eek:

I tried to pull a draft of my Amarillo Pale Ale tonight and all I got was a trickle . . . then nothing.

I opened the keg b/c I suspected . . . yep . . . frozen! We've been having a bit of a cold spell here in Central Illinois. My kegerator is turned down all the way, but I guess I might just unplug it.

Anyway, what will happen to this beer? I brought it inside to melt. Will it be ok? Anyone ever experience such a mishap? I have heard of folks freezing their lagers accidentally, but this one was carbed up in the keg.

ah this beer will be jus fine. just remember to drink er up quick since you popped the top.

Charge the keg with CO2, purge the O2, then thaw it up to serving temp. The beer hasn't been damaged.

Enjoy,
Wild

I take it that I'm not the only one for whom this has been a problem at some point. This morning, I unplugged my kegerator. I hope that this will keep the rest of my beers from freezing.

I told the wife I wanted to bring the whole operation from the garage into our house. She didn't seem too approving. :cross:

Anyway. The keg stayed inside last night to thaw. I gave it a gentle swirl this morning, and I could hear a few ice chunks swimming around in there. I think I will pop it back onto CO2 tonight. Hopefully, this will be ready for SuperBowl Sunday.

The whole fam is coming over to watch on big screen Hi Def. I promised to have three beers tapped . . . I hope I can keep them in drinking condition for the game.

Pop the lid, drain the liquid, leave the ice and you got a distilled extra strength beer.:tank:

If you're in the US then don't tell the IRS or the FEDs. ;)

Go to your local hardware store and get some pipe heater tape. Wrap it around the inside of the kegger.

I had this happen when my 30 year old beverage aire died. RIP beer serving friend. Anyway, before the freezing, the beer was perfectly carbonated. I thawed the beer and it tasted fine, but due to the extreme temp drop, the beer sucked up the CO2. The beer was extremely overcarbonated. I had to remove it from pressure and purge the tank about 6 times to bleed off enough CO2 to get it back down. The overall flavor was not affected, and it actually aided in the clearing of the beer.

After it thaws, shake the keg just in case any solids have fallen out of suspension. I had this happen once and I got about 3-4 glasses of super heavy stuff, and the rest was like water.

Back