Keg fridge in garage

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SWK

Reaction score
Im looking to put a keg fridge in my attached garage which isn’t insulated. In the winter its not a problem but in the summer it gets pretty hot in the NYC area.

Anyone have a keg fridge in an uninsulated garage? If so any problem or suggestions?

The reason I want it in the garage is because I plan to run 2 taps thru the wall into my kitchen.

Keeper vs vertical fridge?

I have an upright keezer in a non insulated garage. Does fine in the summer with 100+F temps (which is probably a lot hotter than what NYC might see), it just kicks on more.

Don't really have any suggestions...

I have an upright keezer in a non insulated garage. Does fine in the summer with 100+F temps (which is probably a lot hotter than what NYC might see), it just kicks on more.

Don't really have any suggestions...

Thanks GoeHaarden.

Is there a reason people use upright freezers instead of upright fridges?

Is there a reason people use upright freezers instead of upright fridges?

My reason was simple, it was free...

They probably all have their pros/cons. A fridge probably wouldn't require a temp controller if you could dial in the serving temp just right.

My freezer has the cooling coils in the shelves, so I had to carefully bend them. I can get 5 kegs in it with the inner door panel gone.

Depending what kind of fridge it is, especially where the condenser coils are. If they're not in the sides/top/back you could put extra insulation around those areas where there are no coils. You can always put extra insulation around the door area, that tends to be the weak spot insulation wise.

My chest freezer's lid surely is a cold leak. I have a thick sleeping bag lying on top of it.

I have an upright keezer, it fits 5 ball lock kegs (tight) with the bottom part of the inside door panel removed. I still have 3 useful door shelves left on top, and a full shelf above the kegs. Taps come through the door.

I had my keezer in my garage for a while. Never had too much trouble. I don't think you have much to worry about. You've got an advantage here, a normal refrigerator has to keep cold temps even when the door gets opened regularly, which loses a lot of cold air each time. Since you don't have to open it to use the taps, it can keep cool more easily. Plus, it's probably pretty unusual for your garage to stay that hot for more than a few hours.

I think your bigger issue is going to be keeping your lines from the fridge to the taps cold. Plan accordingly. I have no experience with that.

I have a side by side fridge in my garage for my kegerator. I did add a temp controller and a heat source, which does come on in the winter. It works great though.

I wanted an upright freezer so it was one large compartment, but couldn't find anything reasonably priced when I built it. I did cut a few holes in the middle wall and did a few other mods to make the temperature consistent between the two areas.

Here's the full thread.
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/forum/threads/my-side-by-side-to-kegerator-conversion.645189/

I have a side by side fridge in my garage for my kegerator. I did add a temp controller and a heat source, which does come on in the winter. It works great though

Just curious. How is your fridge with internal condensation?

Just curious. How is your fridge with internal condensation?

I have not noticed an issue (short of the one time the door didn't close all the way. It did ice up a bit, but I caught it, turned it off, and let the ice melt on it's own). I do have an Eva-dry in there, and a fan that is on whenever the door is closed. I check the Eva-Dry about once a week, and plug it in once a month no matter what color the beads are (usually still orange-ish). I think the constant air movement really helps too, though I'm speculating.

Refrigerators and frost-free freezers generally do not have condensation problems. It's the manual-defrost chest freezers that end up with moisture issues. I have two frost-free upright freezers, one for a keezer and one for a fermentation chamber, condensation has never been a significant issue in either.

I have not noticed an issue

Refrigerators and frost-free freezers generally do not have condensation problems.

Right. I just didn't know if having a hole between the chambers would cause any issues. I suppose the fan does a good job keeping the temp equalized. It's nice to know that those side-by-side refrigerators are an option just in case my stand up frosting keezer ever goes out. I usually see a lot more side-by-sides on clist..

If you drill a hole in the door of an upright freezer or fridge, how do you suggest insulation for the keg lines to the taps? I want to do PVC but don’t know how I’d switch kegs out if the door has pvc attached to it.

If you drill a hole in the door of an upright freezer or fridge, how do you suggest insulation for the keg lines to the taps? I want to do PVC but don’t know how I’d switch kegs out if the door has pvc attached to it.

Not sure I quite follow you, unless you're talking about remote taps, not on the fridge. I put my taps right on the door, so I did not insulate the lines at all. I drilled holes just large enough for the thanks, and got shank a couple inches than I really needed.

Back