Keg/Fermentation Setup

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk:

bluespook

Reaction score
I've made 4 extract brews, so I am clearly new to the "art". I've been reading various threads on this site for a couple of months, so I'm becoming familiar with the terminology, equipment, etc., but I would like to confirm my understandings regarding a couple of areas.

1. I understand that some beers, lagers I believe, need to be fermented and stored at a relatively low temp...like 35F. Generally, the equipment used for this storage/fermentation is a converted freezer, preferably a chest type, with an external controller. If this is correct, with a collar, a smaller freezer can handle three or so cornies. I see plans and discussions about "son of somebody" coolers...are these for the same purpose?

2. The CO2 systems I see, sometimes called "kegorators" or what have you, are for cooling and dispensing beer in your home.

These two things are not dual purpose, but rather separate functions...right? If a person is making different types of beer with different fermentation temps, he would need maybe two temp controlled freezers? Gads, this could be expensive!

WortMonger

"What you doin' in my waters?"
Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
Temperature control can be expensive. I have a serving fridge (kegerator) and a fermentation freezer (lagerator, or fermenator, lol, find a name and run with it). If you only have one then you will bottleneck your brewery on lagers. I am in this position right now as I need another freezer for lagering so I can keep fermenting and serving out of the other two.

Yes with a collar a keg can hold more due to you enlarging it.

A4J

Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
bluespook said:
I see plans and discussions about "son of somebody" coolers...are these for the same purpose?
I don't have direct experience with the Son of Fermentation cooler, but I don't think it's intended for lagering purposes. It's only intended to maintain temps a few degrees below ambient, so getting to go into the low 30's would probably be very difficult.

Having a separate lagering chamber and a kegerator doesn't have to be an expensive endeavor if you're able to find used freezers on craiglist for next to nothing, but if you're new freezer/refridgerator, then, yeah, it would be costly.

Latest posts