Keg Equipment Needs for 4 Taps

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

troutbumcolo

Reaction score
I am going to be building a keezer in the near future. I have been given a chest freezer recently and know it will hold four kegs. I have seen how to build the collar and where/how to install a temp regulator.

Here is my dilemma:

1. For 4 taps, do I need just one double CO2 regulator and then two, two-way CO2 distributers? I want to be able to pour and force carb kegs at the same time so I understand that. Where I am lost is on the distributor equipment necessary.

2. I am thinking of putting on one, three-way CO2 distributors so I can bottle some beer when needed. Would this be correct?

3. I am mixed on either going with tap installs into the collar or purchasing two towers. From your experiences, what do you recommend?

4. I have seen that Northerbrewer and Midwest supply has introductory two-keg Flex packages that includes the kegs. Is this a good avenue to go?

5. As for CO2 tank, I am thinking of finding one locally instead of purchasing from online. With four taps, what size CO2 tank do you recommend?

6. As for the beer lines to the taps, I have seen conflicting posts on the length. I have seen mostly 1 foot of line for ever pound of pressure and then cut down to size. I have also seen 5 feet of line is sufficient. Please direct me in the right direction.

7. As for temp regulators, what is the best one to get?

8. I am going to purchase Perlick taps as they appear the best and easy to use.

9. I am going to go with Ball lock kegs. In your experience, is this correct?

I appreciate your input on this and look forward to finalizing my planning so I can start building. Cheers!

I am currently running 4 taps with a 4 "port" manifold off of one C02 tank with a dual regulator. It really depends on what types of liquid ( beer, cider, soda ) you are going to be running through the taps. I run mostly stouts and lighter so one manifold runs the same pressure for all. Having the dual regulator does mean that I can run one keg at a higher pressure ( say soda ) or use that extra line to force carb. One CO2 tank lasts me about 10 kegs or so, I have a 5 gallon.

I am going to be building a keezer in the near future. I have been given a chest freezer recently and know it will hold four kegs. I have seen how to build the collar and where/how to install a temp regulator.

Here is my dilemma:

1. For 4 taps, do I need just one double CO2 regulator and then two, two-way CO2 distributers? I want to be able to pour and force carb kegs at the same time so I understand that. Where I am lost is on the distributor equipment necessary.

I would buy a 4-way manifold for serving and then use the other regulator body for carbonating. A note here is that if you wish to force carbonate slowly then you can just serve at the same pressure you carb at. It will take a little longer but less messing with pressure. The other regulator body could be used for low pressure bottle filling when you are not carbonating if you choose to use two different pressures.

2. I am thinking of putting on one, three-way CO2 distributors so I can bottle some beer when needed. Would this be correct?

3. I am mixed on either going with tap installs into the collar or purchasing two towers. From your experiences, what do you recommend?

I put my shanks through the collar. I didn't want to put holes in the freezer at all so that I could return it to original condition. A collar is a lower cost option as well. Towers can get expensive and quickly. I like the look of a 4-tap stainless "T" style tower but I can't afford it.

4. I have seen that Northerbrewer and Midwest supply has introductory two-keg Flex packages that includes the kegs. Is this a good avenue to go?

Do you already have kegs? Are you going to buy some more? That could be a good deal but if you are patient you can usually find them on craigslist or here on the classified for a better price. IF you are in a hurry then might as well buy from NB.

5. As for CO2 tank, I am thinking of finding one locally instead of purchasing from online. With four taps, what size CO2 tank do you recommend?

Is this going inside or outside the keezer? I use 20# tanks, yes I have 2, for serving and carbonating. I use a dual body regulator and have two outputs to two manifolds. One is in my "cold conditioning" freezer and one is in my serving keezer. If you have to put it inside then get a 5# or 10#. I would highly recommend a spare tank. The best prices I've seen for new 5# tanks is amazon but you will have to fill it.

6. As for the beer lines to the taps, I have seen conflicting posts on the length. I have seen mostly 1 foot of line for ever pound of pressure and then cut down to size. I have also seen 5 feet of line is sufficient. Please direct me in the right direction.

You can always trim a beer line! Beer line is very cheap so buy a bunch. I buy it by the 100' roll and just keep it on hand. I use perkick 630ss faucets and 12' of 3/16"ID beer line. It always pours great. You can experiment if you want but I would recommend ordering quite a bit.

This is a bit loaded. Currently I have the following in place and operational: love ts-13101, black box gen 1, chinese MH-1210, and johnson controls analog. My lease favorite is the johnson. I like digital numbers. For a single stage I would probably go with the mh-1210 again. It is cheap and easy to wire up and is simple to operate. I use it to maintain my glycol bath temps.

I use the 630SS faucets for my keezer. They are great and I recommend them. On my jockey boxes I use the standard low-cost piston type faucets. Those work great as well but can stick and don't look as cool.

Ball lock is the standard for the most part. They are a bit narrower in diameter so you can fit more into small keezers. They also cost more on average. You can mix and match ball lock and pin lock. Just get MFL type keg couplers so that you can switch betwen the two types as you need. Or just keep it homogenous.

I appreciate your input on this and look forward to finalizing my planning so I can start building. Cheers!

Here is my dilemma:

to serve and force carb (two different pressures) you'll need a dual body regulator. the distributors you need vary by your plan. i have a 4 way distributor and a dual body regulator for my 4 tap keezer

not sure what you mean...

collar is cheaper...depends what you want though

lots of options on where to buy... do you want new or used kegs? used will be about half the price. have you checked your local craigslist

i have a 10, but a 5 will work...it will just need filled twice as often. i find a 10lb will carb and serve about 15-20 kegs

go with 10 ft per line

again...it's a preference. you can buy a $20 one that you have to wire a bit, or spend $75 and get plug and play

good call

they are the more popular choice

Too anxious in my response, check out the thread I just started. I went with 2 towers, no collar, on a keezer. I like the form factor better, no need for driling into the side of the freezer or attaching a collar. It does limit the space you have but, to me, it looks a little cleaner. Ball locks are the most common ones out there, they seem a little easier to get than pinlocks or other form factors. Search in the forum for line length calculators, they will give the correct length for lines. There are also a few good articles out there ( google finds them ) on the science of determining the length. Just remember that if you make them too long, you'll just get a slow pour but your carbonation will be correct. Too short and it could be foam city.

Guys,

Thanks for the speedy response. In re-reading the question on CO2 distributors, I now understand from your responses on what is necessary.

I am going to go with one four-way distributor and leave the other side open to force carb. In the future, I will probably have a two-way distributor to force carb two kegs at once or leave the other side open for bottling purposes.

Thanks again!

Glad we can help!

On a side note I read your username. Are you based out of durango area? I have tossed a few flies out into the dolores but my works schedule is usually busy as hell during the best times of the year. Your pictures make me a little jealous and wish that I was out fishing more!

Sandy. I'm based on the front range and guide mostly on the South Platte drainage. I do jump your way periodically. Maybe we can meet if I'm your way to fish and sample. Hit me up if you are near Colorado Springs. Best.

Back