Keg emergency! HALP!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KPBrews

Reaction score
So I have about 1/2 a corny keg full of home brew, which I've promised to bring to the office lunch party TOMORROW. I went outside tonight to start filling up 4 growlers (I didn't want to bring the whole thing, shaking it all up, plus, it won't fit in the fridge at the office!) and a few bottles for gifts, and discovered that sometime between Saturday evening (when I last poured off a couple of pints) and tonight (it's now 1am on Wednesday), something must have been jostled and a leak must have formed in the air lines, because my co2 tank is utterly empty and there is ZERO pressure in the keg! Nothing comes out when I open the picnic tap.

Technically I could pop the keg and rack out what's left, but I don't know if I have enough bottles on hand to hold it all, and frankly, I'm not sure if the beer itself is flat or not.

I assume if I get my tank refilled tomorrow I can hook it all back up and get it flowing, perhaps even in time for the party (at noon!), but if the beer has gone flat, there's no way I'm going to be able to carb it up in time!

What are the odds of the beer being flat? Any opinions on my options? Or am I just SOL for this round? (for the party, at least) :confused:

1) Get the gas, check for leaks, spray stuff down with starsan and look for bubbles.
2) Purge the keg, put on gas, check carb level in a small sample. If it feels low, shake carb it. (purge, 30psi, shake, retest)
3) If you haven't found the leak, put the keg at serving pressure, pull the disconnects, turn off the gas at the tank until the party at least.

Find the leak though!

This is where the shake method would probably work best. I think if you get it on gas early this morning, you should be carbonated enough for tomorrow.
Find that leak though, just like Jawbox said.

Thanks, all. I was lucky enough to find another shop that opened earlier, and got my tank filled before work. (never would have worked if I'd had to wait until 11am!)

And fortunately, a small sample showed the beer still had a reasonable amount of carbonation! I filled growlers for party and bottled the rest of the keg (not much left after filling all the growlers, so didn't take too long), then turned off the gas at the tank. I'll worry about doing a thorough leak test after the holiday weekend. It'll be weeks before I have another beer ready to keg anyway, so all's well that ends well. :)

Back