Keg dry-hopping

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dunbruha

Reaction score
Has anyone done comparisons among the following dry-hopping methods? I'm curious what experiences people have had.

1) Dry-hop in fermentation vessel ((not using a hop bag), then transfer to serving keg (with potential clogging in the keg from transferred hops).
2) Dry-hop in serving keg (in a hop bag) at room temperature for a few days, then refrigerate and carbonate.
3) Dry-hop in serving keg (in a hop bag) and immediately refrigerate and carbonate.

I've done #1 many, many times with no problems. If you're using an auto-siphon, it helps to keep the cap on the end. The siphon is slower, but cleaner into the keg.

Between #2 & #3 I've noticed more aromatics in dry-hopped beer in #2 method. I rarely add dry hops to chilled & kegged beers anymore as it doesn't seem to make a big difference.

http://brulosophy.com/2016/01/18/dry-hop-temperature-warm-vs-cool-exbeeriment-results/

I've done 1 and 3. I think the difference is dramatic, with 3 resulting in significantly stronger hop aromas.

For my last IPA I did one round of dry hopping as fermentation ends, then transfered to the keg, cold crashed, fined with gelatin, then keg hopped. I tasted the beer before and after the keg hop and it definitley made a big difference. I'll do this for all my IPAs, now.

I've done #1 many, many times with no problems. If you're using an auto-siphon, it helps to keep the cap on the end. The siphon is slower, but cleaner into the keg.

Between #2 & #3 I've noticed more aromatics in dry-hopped beer in #2 method. I rarely add dry hops to chilled & kegged beers anymore as it doesn't seem to make a big difference.

http://brulosophy.com/2016/01/18/dry-hop-temperature-warm-vs-cool-exbeeriment-results/

Thanks for the link--that is interesting.

It seems like there isn't a strong effect either way (thanks @murphyslaw for your experience). I guess I'll try them all and see if I can tell the difference!

I've done all three- plus a few like dryhopping in secondary warm, and dryhopping in secondary cold.

I just did something really interesting. I made a 11 gallon batch, and once it was finished I transferred to two kegs. I dryhopped them both, and put one in the kegerator right away and kept one out for 6 days before chilling. I have a terrible cold right now, so can't tell you of any differences but as soon as my cold is gone, I will blind taste test my husband and do some taste testing myself and report back.

I've keg-hopped a few times but mostly to make a mediocre beer better. I did a Red X malt beer with Equinox and while the green pepper was not overwhelming, its not to my taste so I added 1 oz each of Citra and Amarillo to the keg and boom! 2 days later, the green pepper is almost gone and it's much better.

I can say that I prefer a hefty dose of hops at whirlpool and in the fermenter though if I am short on hops, I go the keg hop method. I just find the overall flavor better that way.

So for the people who do method number two, where you dry hop in the keg but don't chill it right away. Do you leave the hop sack in the keg when you place it in the kegerator? I have a brew that I hope the gravity is low enough to start the dry hops. If it is, I may do it in the keg using method two. I'm just curious to know if the hop sack stays in the keg till it kicks or is removed before it gets chilled? Thanks all!!

I have given up dry hopping in a keg. I have had better results dry hopping at fermentation temperature.

Maybe dry hopping in a keg warm would be ok. But once I cold crash, the keg goes on tap and I don't let it warm up again.

So, #1 for me.
I dry hop in Primary after the yeast has started to drop. Then cold crash and keg.
(if I wanted to reuse the yeast, I would dry hop in secondary)

I've done all three- plus a few like dryhopping in secondary warm, and dryhopping in secondary cold.

I just did something really interesting. I made a 11 gallon batch, and once it was finished I transferred to two kegs. I dryhopped them both, and put one in the kegerator right away and kept one out for 6 days before chilling. I have a terrible cold right now, so can't tell you of any differences but as soon as my cold is gone, I will blind taste test my husband and do some taste testing myself and report back.

I'll be interested in hearing about your results. Hope you get over your cold soon!

So for the people who do method number two, where you dry hop in the keg but don't chill it right away. Do you leave the hop sack in the keg when you place it in the kegerator? I have a brew that I hope the gravity is low enough to start the dry hops. If it is, I may do it in the keg using method two. I'm just curious to know if the hop sack stays in the keg till it kicks or is removed before it gets chilled? Thanks all!!

When I used #2 or #3, I left the hop bag in the keg until the beer was all gone. I haven't noticed any off-flavors.

Even though I have tried all three methods, they have been on different types of beer, so I don't have much experience which method gives the best hop aroma.

I keep the hop sack in the whole time. Never had off flavors, then again I'm not one of those that keeps beer around for a long time.

I'm about to try option 2 for the first time. What kind of "hop bags" are people using? Just a standard muslin bag?

I seriously contemplated ordering a hop tube from arbor fab (or equivalent) but from what I've read they don't do well with more than a ounce or two.

http://brulosophy.com/2016/06/27/warm-dry-hop-vs-cold-keg-hop-exbeeriment-results/

Interesting results in what i think is a better test for what we are talking about here.

I tend to think the .05 confidence level is too strict for these sort of tests, and the .06 they got here probably indicates that theres a noticeable difference. Of the 13 who picked the odd beer, 7 preferred the cold keg hopped to only 2 that preferred the warm dry hop.

But even if you like the .05 level, it suggests theres no difference.

I have no doubt that warm is better than cold, but doing it in the serving keg adds other variables that, IMO, make more of a difference.

http://brulosophy.com/2016/06/27/warm-dry-hop-vs-cold-keg-hop-exbeeriment-results/

Interesting results in what i think is a better test for what we are talking about here.

I tend to think the .05 confidence level is too strict for these sort of tests, and the .06 they got here probably indicates that theres a noticeable difference. Of the 13 who picked the odd beer, 7 preferred the cold keg hopped to only 2 that preferred the warm dry hop.

But even if you like the .05 level, it suggests theres no difference.

I have no doubt that warm is better than cold, but doing it in the serving keg adds other variables that, IMO, make more of a difference.

Thanks for the link--very interesting experiment! I agree that the 0.05 alpha level is probably unnecessarily low for this type of experiment.

Right now I am drinking a NE IPA (https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=568046) that was dry-hopped in the FV, then a second dry-hop in the serving keg (which has been in the fridge for 2 months now). It still has a great aroma! (and no grassy flavors)

For those who normally dry hop in the keg (options 2 & 3 from the OP) do you find that your beer is more cloudy than when you dry hop in the fermenter?

I'm curious b/c I've poured about 2.5 pints glasses and mine is still cloudy as can be. I know there is a possibility of some yeast settling at the bottom of the keg and it could take a few glasses to pull out the settled yeast.

I dont think so. For my last IPA i cold crashed, fined with gelatin, then pulled and dumped 2 cloudy glasses, then put 2.5oz of hops in the keg. There was 1 or 2 more cloudy pints, but i cant say whether it was due to the hops or the gelatin continuing to settle. Either way, it was very clear after that.

Last time i keg hopped i didnt use a sack and ended up with floaties. It wasnt cloudy at all, just hop particles. A nylon sack cured that.

i just did #3 to a rye ipa. We had just gotten back from a vacation, and i wanted to keg that beer as soon as possible. I forgot to dry hop it in the process. A few days after kegging i realized what i did. I put the dry hops in a bag, and tossed em in the keg, forgetting to tie a string to the bag. It sank by the time i wanted to remove said bag. It has been in there for 3 weeks, and i have to say, i love it. very good aroma, and no grassy flavors. Probably will do it again with the next rye ipa

For those who normally dry hop in the keg (options 2 & 3 from the OP) do you find that your beer is more cloudy than when you dry hop in the fermenter?

I'm curious b/c I've poured about 2.5 pints glasses and mine is still cloudy as can be. I know there is a possibility of some yeast settling at the bottom of the keg and it could take a few glasses to pull out the settled yeast.

When I dry-hop in the keg, the first few pints are VERY hoppy/turbid. I imagine this is the bits of hops that get through the hop bag. Once those have been pulled through, the rest is fine.

View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1467258190.804886.jpg

Not seeing any hop particles or anything like that. It's just very cloudy so maybe I just can't see them. I feel like I'm drinking dirty motor oil since I cannot see through it. Now it smells and tastes great, just soooo cloudy.

It's been in the keg for a day and a half now. Maybe by tomorrow the beer will clear more as it settles (two full days). I do not have gelatin or anything else to clear it up in the keg. I'll be out of town from the 2nd-12th so if it doesn't naturally settle and/or clear before I leave it should by the time I return.

Looks like a nice glass of fresh crushed apple cider :D

I keg-hop with whole cones quite often and never had a pour look that thick.
What did the beer look like before you plonked in the hops?

Cheers!

Looks like a nice glass of fresh crushed apple cider :D

I keg-hop with whole cones quite often and never had a pour look that thick.

What did the beer look like before you plonked in the hops?

Cheers!

How many pints did you dump?

Day_trippr, yeah it does look like apple cider for sure! LOL I'm not quite sure how it looked before I transferred it to the keg. I have he FastFerment conical fermenter so it's not clear and I don't have to siphon it into the keg. I'm thinking it may be from some left over yeast or trub that was maybe stuck the the sides that made it into the keg. It was my first 5 gallon BIAB brew I did in my FF b/c the samples I pulled from the valve was much clearer but also it is much higher on the conical.

Murphyslaw, I pulled about two and a half pint glasses from the tap. I'm wondering if there is more b/c of doing a BIAB brew? The small batches I do with BIAB seem to have a lot more trub and what not.

One other question to the people who dry hop in the keg. Do you tie off the bag of hops to keep it off the bottom an inch or two? Do you let it float? Or weight it down and not tie it off?

One other question to the people who dry hop in the keg. Do you tie off the bag of hops to keep it off the bottom an inch or two? Do you let it float? Or weight it down and not tie it off?

I just toss them in, and rack the beer into the keg. They initially float, but once saturated I'm sure they sink.

I tie it off and put it in the keg without strings or weights. I am pretty sure it sinks on its own.

Thanks everyone!!

Also when I meant "tied off", I meant having some non-flavored floss tied to the bag and the other end out of the keg to an post or handle. This keeping the bag suspended off the bottom away from the dip tube. Maybe my thoughts might be different than others. [emoji6]

Back