Keg dry hopping

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jbb3

Reaction score
Hello keggers,
I kegged an IPA this past weekend. It's still a little green but it's getting there. The hoppy taste is right on. However, it's missing the hoppy smell.

I have heard of folks adding hops to the keg. How much and for how long should I add it??

I just want to add a little nose to it... ;)

Any sanitation issues to be concerned with??

I just hang them from inside the lid. I have stainless worm clamps attached to the pressure release (on the inside) and use that to attach to. So I sanitize a paint strainer bag and some stainless nuts (for weight), add hops to the bag, tie the bag up with fishing line, then suspend that from the PRV so it hangs about ten inches from the bottom of the keg. I leave it in there the whole time.

I just hang them from inside the lid. I have stainless worm clamps attached to the pressure release (on the inside) and use that to attach to. So I sanitize a paint strainer bag and some stainless nuts (for weight), add hops to the bag, tie the bag up with fishing line, then suspend that from the PRV so it hangs about ten inches from the bottom of the keg. I leave it in there the whole time.

Hey, that's a great idea! As I was reading your post, I happen to remember; months ago, I ordered one of those stainless mesh tea balls for infusing tea with loose tea leaves. I was going to use it for dry hopping in the fermenter. When I got it, I realized it was too small. But it would be perfect for dry hopping in a keg! And it has a small hook with a short chain on it!! I had forgotten all about until reading your post. :mug:

So how much hop weight should I use in the keg? I don't want it to become overpowering. In the fermenter, I dry hopped with 2oz of Simcoe & 2 oz of Goldings so it is pretty hoppy. :) Like I said; I just want to add some nose to it.

Back