Keg conversions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Beernik

Reaction score
I've picked up one of the two kegs that I need to build my HERMS. But haven't started modifying it yet. This first one I'm going to convert into the mash tun.

I already have a bazooka screen and ball valve for my current MLT.

My questions are:

1) Is a false bottom on a keg mash tun that much better than a bazooka screen?
2) If it is, can I use my ball valve and bazooka screen on the future keggle as a hop/trub screen? I think I could sew a stainless steel wire cloth over it like a condom to reduce the pore size.

1) There's no "best" way to do it and the right way is what what works for you. That being said, if you fly sparge a false bottom is the usual way to go and you have lots of great options to do it. If you batch sparge your bazooka screen is just fine since all your sugars are already in the solution before you run it off. You can fly sparge with the bazooka but it needs to be correctly configured with a ring of braid or several straight lines. The idea is to avoid channeling during the fly sparge.

2) Thats the setup i have on my kettle. I've noticed that it can clog with lots of hot break but its towards the end of draining the kettle so not really a big deal but id avoid making the holes smaller, plus you have cold break so what if i get a little hot in there too. I use a hop spider with the large paint strainer bags to reduce the amount of junk that makes its way to the carboy and that works pretty well.

Right now I batch sparge. I think as part of this overall project, I'll be converting to fly sparge. At least that's what I have pictured in my head.

I'll start thinking about false bottoms.

I'm less worried about break material than I am about hop pellets. If I'm using an ounce or two, I don't worry much about it. If I'm using 5 ounces, I don't like carrying it into the fermenter. Makes 5 gallons of IPA look green.

I've thought about a hop spider. I even drafted and costed one out. But if I use one, I have to jockey it around with my IC. I'm not wild about that idea. Of course, the IC may be out the door because cooling 10 gallons of wort is going to be harder than cooling 5 gallons.

I have a geto spider. It's just three 10 inch bolts mounted to a 4 to 3 inch pipe reducer and a worm pipe clamp on the 3 inch part to hold the paint strainer bag. It sits right on top the kettle and is easily removed. I'd like to own one of those ss mesh cylinders... one day haha. All and all i think my spider cost a whole $10-15 and you can reuse the bags but they're cheap enough you can throw them out if you want.

The dudes in the videos showing how to pull the spear must have kegs in better condition than I got. I broke two screwdrivers trying to remove the retention ring.

Since they were broken, I ground them down into shanks to try to attack the retention ring better.

Wasn't getting anywhere, so I ground the lip of the keg down until I could attack the backside of the ring.

After an hour of work, I was finally able to remove the ring in two pieces and pull the spear

Sounds like you're having fun! If you know a machinist or someone with a plasma cutter you can make short work of those kegs. I'm thinking i'll have my uncle machine mine when i upgrade. So i can have it all perfect and satisfy my ocd.

Post some pics of it when you make some headway so i can be jealous.

Thanks. I will post some pics.

I haven't picked up the cutting disc or step drill bit yet. My old housemate wants to help me cut it, but his daughter is going to give birth any day now

I also haven't quite decided what to do for the false bottom.

I had the brilliant idea of using the cut lid piece as the false bottom. But after the fiasco getting the retention ring out, I may try something more conventional.

I'm also rethinking the HERMS idea. I'm starting to think about a two or three burner stand. I'd stand and stir the mash tun while it's being heated.

I'm also starting to think about how I would get 30lbs of grain out of the mash tun. I spent most of the last year getting my back straightened out. What ever I do, doing with my back in mind.

They have nice false bottoms that are made for keggles that fold in half to get in and sit perfectly.
Check out some of the brew sculptures that have tipping built in for some ideas. Its just two pieces of metal that meet forming a triangle that let the kettle swing on and have a slide on one side to pour the grain into whatever. Google "Brew sculptures tippy" and that'll give you a good idea

Back