Keg Connection vs. Brewers Discount (keg question)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Beerrific

Reaction score
I hate to start another keg thread but I am going to anyway...

What is your opinion of the two? I have heard mostly good things about both. They seem to have the best prices on kegs right now. Keg Connection is cheaper but further away so shipping is more.

Here are the prices (shipped):
Keg Connection (4 cleaned, plus 4 sets of O-rings): $119.99
Brewers Discount (4 cleaned, no guarantee on the poopets or o rings): $101.19
Brewers Discount (4 REBUILT, new gaskets, new poppets): $121.19

What is the condition of kegs from Keg Connection? Will anything need to be replaced.

Also (this is the tough part), my chest freezer is (a little over) 17in across so 2 8.5in cornies will fit, but if I luck out an get some that are slightly bigger I will be SOL. I have talked to Todd at keg connection and he said his vary from 8.25 to 8.5 and he will pull the thinnest for me. I know I could always call and ask brewers discount but I need to order tomorrow to hope to get them this week.

BTW, these prices from Brewers Discount is part of their "mini sale." If you had been waiting, now might be the time to buy.

I ordered 6 kegs from Brewers discount about 6 months ago and I haven't had to do anything to them. That was when they were selling them 2 used for 32 dollars. The $25 for a rebuilt doesn't sound like a bad deal. I think I may order 2 more. But I have had no problems with my kegs from them, I think that i may need to replace a poppet soon but no big deal. I would go with the company that gives you a warm fuzzy even if it means spending an extra buck or two.

Cheers.

wop31 said:
I ordered 6 kegs from Brewers discount about 6 months ago and I haven't had to do anything to them. That was when they were selling them 2 used for 32 dollars. The $25 for a rebuilt doesn't sound like a bad deal. I think I may order 2 more. But I have had no problems with my kegs from them, I think that i may need to replace a poppet soon but no big deal. I would go with the company that gives you a warm fuzzy even if it means spending an extra buck or two.

Cheers.
Were they they rebuilt or the "as is" ones? I have heard a lot of people say they are fine to use...I guess I am afraid I will be the sucker that will get 4 that were used for root beer and have poppets that have a month to live. But I am also paranoid.

I have 14 kegs, all from BD (non-recon'd).

Narry a problem, but one did have a root beer o-ring I had to replace.

No biggy and I use the **** out of my kegs.

BierMuncher said:
I have 14 kegs, all from BD (non-recon'd).

Narry a problem, but one did have a root beer o-ring I had to replace.

No biggy and I use the **** out of my kegs.

What is the diameter of your kegs? They could easily be different now but I'm just curious.

If it is only $5 a keg to go from used to reconditioned, that is well worth the extra money. I am not brave enough to use old o-rings, so if it were me, I would want to replace all of them on used kegs. Once you pay for that, you are most of the way to the same cost as the reconditioned ones.

BierMuncher said:
Pretty sure they're all right at 9".

See, that's what I am worried about. That added .5in would restrict me from 4 kegs to 3 in my freezer.

FlyGuy said:
If it is only $5 a keg to go from used to reconditioned, that is well worth the extra money. I am not brave enough to use old o-rings, so if it were me, I would want to replace all of them on used kegs. Once you pay for that, you are most of the way to the same cost as the reconditioned ones.

Yeah that is pretty much what I am thinking. I am trying to decide between the Brewers Discount and Keg Connection. I like the fact that the one comes with new o-rings and poppets (Brewer's Discount) and the other comes with existing o-rings plus a replacement set (Keg Connection).

Beerrific said:
See, that's what I am worried about. That added .5in would restrict me from 4 kegs to 3 in my freezer.

My ball locks measure at 8 1/4".

Beerrific said:
Yeah that is pretty much what I am thinking. I am trying to decide between the Brewers Discount and Keg Connection. I like the fact that the one comes with new o-rings and poppets (Brewer's Discount) and the other comes with existing o-rings plus a replacement set (Keg Connection).

I've bought 12 total kegs from KC and no problems yet. The last four I ordered from them were the "B" kegs. A few loose bottoms, easily fixed with some adhesive. The extra O rings are nice too, but they are only there to replace the ones that come on the keg as they will smell like Pepsi.

HighPlainsDrifter said:
I've bought 12 total kegs from KC and no problems yet. The last four I ordered from them were the "B" kegs. A few loose bottoms, easily fixed with some adhesive. The extra O rings are nice too, but they are only there to replace the ones that come on the keg as they will smell like Pepsi.

I assumed that they were soda-fied but was hoping that I could clean most of them with PBW or something and have the extras as spares.

Mine were the as is non-reconditioned kegs and like i said I may have to replace a poppet soon, but htey all looked and smelled good. I took an obital sander and some 220 grit and polished one of them up and it looks brand new.

Cheers

www.leeners.com (in Ohio) has a sale on a 4 pack of pin-locks for about $85 shipped to California. They include a new set of O-rings. I had to replace about 3 poppets and there was soda smell aplenty, but my current kegorator requires the shorter pin-locks and I don't mind the extra labor if I can save a few bucks.
Cheers,
Jeremy

Back