Keg Conditioning

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pendries

Reaction score
I have a Choc stout 1 1/2 weeks primary 1 1/2 weeks secondary and a smoked porter 2 1/2 weeks primary That I want to keg. In your opinion will this beer "properly" condition, force carbed in a keg as opposed to several more weeks in a secondary?

After much reading and personal experimentation, I do 2 weeks primary, 2 weeks secondary, crash cool and keg. From there, I age according to OG... My RIS has been aging for 2 months, maybe 1 to 2 more, my bitter keg ages for 2 weeks.

After reading a whole lot on this site about what people do, there is no "definition" for how long to age, how long in the primary, etc. However, I have found 2 weeks in the primary until the FG is reached makes for a better beer. Again, IMO!

I'm sure this has been posted elsewhere BUT when conditioning beer in a keg can I purge the keg with co2 then add the beer. After that do I age it with or without carbonating it (I do force carbing). I was under the impression I would age longer better as a still solution at room temp and only to chill when ready to carbonate and serve. Pointers? Corrections?

i force carbonate most of my beers and drink them within a couple of days of kegging. these are mainly my session beers, tho.

a lot of beers absolutely NEED conditioning. i've found it doesn't really matter whether that conditioning happens in the carboy, the keg, the bottle, etc, as long as your final gravity is down before you transfer from primary (although i think a long primary is very beneficial)

if you want to keg it, go for it. if it doesn't taste good from the keg yet, just leave it in there, under pressure, and try a taste every now and then until it smooths out.

i force carbonate most of my beers and drink them within a couple of days of kegging. these are mainly my session beers, tho.

a lot of beers absolutely NEED conditioning. i've found it doesn't really matter whether that conditioning happens in the carboy, the keg, the bottle, etc, as long as your final gravity is down before you transfer from primary (although i think a long primary is very beneficial)

if you want to keg it, go for it. if it doesn't taste good from the keg yet, just leave it in there, under pressure, and try a taste every now and then until it smooths out.

how long is a "LONG primary" 2 weeks good ??

and will my beer continue to "age" and "clear" if just left in the primary ??? ( I force carbonate anyway) and I only have 1 carboy...

well, i don't think you need to "clear" a chocolate stout, but let's put this into perspective:

i made a breakfast stout a few weeks ago that finished fermenting in about 3 days. i let it sit in primary in the fridge for an additional 2. the next day i kegged it, shook it for 10 minutes at 40 PSI, let it sit for about 30 minutes in the ice, bled off some of the pressure and tapped that sucker. it was the favorite beer of the night and we finished it in a few hours. no one was dissapointed.

now this is a low alcohol beer...it doesn't need much conditioning. it's intended to drink fast.

really, it's up to you. if you are going to drink beers quickly, i recommend skipping the secondary. you may get a few little chunks, but it will condition better sitting on the yeast.

i'd say if you want to keg those beers, they are ready to go. if you don't like the taste of one of them for some reason and think it needs more time, just drink the other and let that one condition in the keg.

i think you'll be pleasantly surprised.

oh, perspective needs the other end of the argument:

i sometimes leave my belgians and other strong beers in the primary for a couple of months...even if fermentation finishes in less than two weeks.

oh, perspective needs the other end of the argument:

i sometimes leave my belgians and other strong beers in the primary for a couple of months...even if fermentation finishes in less than two weeks.

does it not affect the taste leaving it in the primary for so long with all that sediment? i was thinking primary, secondary, then either conditioning in the secondary or in the keg for the long haul. i understand some need longer than others.. and honestly i'm not really all that worried about it, BUT there are a couple that I want to try, that are suggested that they condition for 6 months.

where would you condition that one? a holiday ale for example

another point i was trying to bring up.. if i anticipate it setting awhile should i leave it uncarbonated in the closet, or does it matter if it sits under pressure in the keg? is the shelf life affected either way.

and i may be misusing the word "conditioning" I understand that it can be used to describe the natrual carbonation. but i mean conditioning here as, letting the beer sit and the flavors meld.. is there a more accurate word to use for that concept
:mug:

I was wondering the same thing ...

say a 1040'ish ale ... Primary for 3 weeks, then straight to keg.

Would carbonating the beer change the conditioning, if the beer still needed it ?

Honestly, I am afraid that if I rack these 10 gals to kegs, I will not be able to resist and there goes my thanksgiving breww !

I think I need to meditate. Should I leave in primary another 2 weeks, and keg, or keg now and hope I don't go through it ..

decisions, decisions !

does it not affect the taste leaving it in the primary for so long with all that sediment? i was thinking primary, secondary, then either conditioning in the secondary or in the keg for the long haul. i understand some need longer than others.. and honestly i'm not really all that worried about it, BUT there are a couple that I want to try, that are suggested that they condition for 6 months.

where would you condition that one? a holiday ale for example

another point i was trying to bring up.. if i anticipate it setting awhile should i leave it uncarbonated in the closet, or does it matter if it sits under pressure in the keg? is the shelf life affected either way.

and i may be misusing the word "conditioning" I understand that it can be used to describe the natrual carbonation. but i mean conditioning here as, letting the beer sit and the flavors meld.. is there a more accurate word to use for that concept

i understand your distinction and you are using it correctly.

yes, leaving it in the primary will affect the beers taste. it will make it cleaner and smoother! leaving it on the YEAST is what makes this happen...the other crap doesn't really do anything but sit there. the only thing you have to worry about is autolysis, which takes MONTHS to occur.

beer will condition in any and every stage. if you went straight to keg and tasted it every week, for example, you would notice a difference.

do what works for you!

In your opinion will this beer "properly" condition, force carbed in a keg as opposed to several more weeks in a secondary?
Yes, If I am ageing under pressure I usually just leave it on the gas and let it carb over a week or two. The major difference between ageing in a keg and a secondary is the first glass out of the tap. The beer will continue to clear under pressure and all the sediment will end up in the first glass.

i understand your distinction and you are using it correctly.

yes, leaving it in the primary will affect the beers taste. it will make it cleaner and smoother! leaving it on the YEAST is what makes this happen...the other crap doesn't really do anything but sit there. the only thing you have to worry about is autolysis, which takes MONTHS to occur.

beer will condition in any and every stage. if you went straight to keg and tasted it every week, for example, you would notice a difference.

do what works for you!

this is good news. But if leaving it in the primary works so well.... why do people use a secondary ?

a couple of reasons: some people age their beer for months. i left my belgian dark strong in the secondary for six months. that's too long for primary, autolysis WILL occur with that great amount of time.

also is for clearing. If i get it off the yeast and suck up very little, even more yeast and crap will fall out in the secondary. you'll end up with a much clearer beer the longer you leave it and the colder you have it. using a secondary helps with this.

a couple of reasons: some people age their beer for months. i left my belgian dark strong in the secondary for six months. that's too long for primary, autolysis WILL occur with that great amount of time.

also is for clearing. If i get it off the yeast and suck up very little, even more yeast and crap will fall out in the secondary. you'll end up with a much clearer beer the longer you leave it and the colder you have it. using a secondary helps with this.

I don't think I would ever age a beer 6 months....and I also could care less about any beer being "clear" :rolleyes: . Sounds like a primary is all I need :)

Back