Keg conditioning

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jzelina

Reaction score
So I brewed an Irish stout that finished @ 1.013 after two weeks in fermentor. I moved it to the keg and plan on storing it that way for a while at 63 degrees. I did not add any sugar, just put enough C02 on it to seal. Anyone see any issues with this. Will carb on gas as St Patties day gets closer. Any way to figure what is should carb to while "resting"

You might try priming sugar to allow it to naturally ferment with that much lag time. Usually 1/3 to 1/2 the normal bottling amount, especially at that cellar temp. Otherwise just make sure you sealed the keg at 30 lbs, checked for leaks and purged low enough to maintain the seal. You can always adjust carb with release and pressure.

I would carb it at 30 psi for 36-40 hours now. That way you can store it indefinitely after this time without the keg losing pressure. If you just blast the keg at 30 psi to seal and disconnect the gas the beer will absorb the CO2 in the headspace till equilibrium. You won't have a pressurized keg after long particularly if you are storing it cold.

Then when Paddy's day comes around stick it on the gas at your serving pressures a few days in advance and you will be good to go.

As long as its got a good seal, leave it alone. Your way ahead of the game with your beer in good shape. No need to rush carbonation. Put it in the kegger three weeks before your going to tap and carbonate.

So I have the stout in the kezzer 39 degrees for a couple of weeks. Took a taster, Di acetyl (butter scotch taste and smell). This being my first issue with this, can I warm the keg up to around 68 for a day or two to clear it up or while time take care of it?

Back