Keg conditioning - cold or room temp?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kbmh

Reaction score
I just kegged a DIPA. It smells wonderful - it tastes like rubber bands. I'm thinking (a.k.a. My hope) is that a good 3 weeks or more in the keg and it'll be drinkable. (Though I may be screwed on the hop aroma and flavor, but if I have to choose between Hoppy Rubber Band Fight In Your Mouth and Subtle Hopped DIPA, I'm going for the latter)

My question is, does coldness alter conditioning speed? Has anyone ever played with that?

Sorry this is a stupid question. And on with the post-kegging laundry! (For some reason, towels are readily sacrificed on brew and kegging days. I'd make a terrible scientist...)

Conditioning beer is a chemical/biological process. It happens quicker warm than cold and too cold may stop it entirely. Room temp seems to be a good range for the process.

+1 on the above post. I would leave it at room temp. If you chill it it'll put all the yeast to sleep and it wont condition. Chilling, or cold crashing as it's called here, it is usually a method to clear the beer.

My DIPA only two weeks ok has that same flavor "elastic band" and I kept reasonable temps 65-70 any idea what caused it and if they will fade over time ? Will a big dry hop help ?

Elastic band flavor. Similiar to a band aid? Might be bacterial and being subdued a bit by the hops.

Back