Keg Cleaning Brush Needed?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mgortel

Reaction score
Buying all of my "stuff" for kegging this week......

Anal retentive question.....should I buy a keg cleaning brush (for keg itself....I am getting dip tube brush)....looks like most people just soak in PBW rinse and sanitize.

Buying all of my "stuff" for kegging this week......

Anal retentive question.....should I buy a keg cleaning brush (for keg itself....I am getting dip tube brush)....looks like most people just soak in PBW rinse and sanitize.

I have not used a brush inside the kegs. As long as you keep them rinsed and cleaned soon after they're emptied and don't let them sit with crap in them in between batches, manual brush scrubbing should be be needed.

Here's the missing ^not^ :)

I dis-assemble a freshly kicked keg, clean, sanitize and lubricate all the bits, blast out the keg body using hot tap water, then spray down the insides with Star-San before re-assembly.

Tubing brush is highly recommended.
Keg brush not so much...

Cheers!

If you have a carboy brush already, just use that, it is what I do to scrub the keg when needed. I get lazy sometimes, and will let over two dozen dirty kegs stack up before getting to cleaning then, which means it can be months before I clean a keg after it has emptied, and some of these kegs have been stored for years, which also means that anything that fell out of solution could have possibly been on the bottom of the keg for many years.

Oddly, I don't have a dip tube brush, and therefor have never cleaned the dip tubes. Every time that I've looked though, it has been shiny.

I'll agree with those guys, a dip tube brush is needed but a keg brush is not.

gnef, I thought the same thing until I kegged my first dry-hopped IPA. The whole dip tube was packed with hop debris after the keg kicked.

Haha. I stopped dry hopping all together due to the pain it was to keep hop debri out of the finished beer, and clogging the dip tube and poppet.

Back