keg carbonation with dme

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Steve50

Reaction score
since i need to let the beer condition for 3 weeks in the keg can i carbonate with the dme like bottling in the keg and save some co2? if so how mucha dme to water for a 5 gallon batch, doing a hefe tomorrow.
Thanks steve

Sure can. I've done a Stout that needed quite a bit of conditioning time, so I just primed the keg before racking to it. Same method as when bottling, but needs less DME. You can use dextrose as well (that's what I use). Most of the Brew software will do that calc for you. You will need to blast it with some CO2 once kegged so you can burp off the oxygen in the head space, then take it to about 25-30psi and disconnect. This is to be sure the keg is sealed. Just like bottling, leave it in a cool (not cold) space for a couple of weeks.

For DME, boiling 3/4 cup of DME in 2 cups of water and then adding to the keg with the beer should set you up just fine. For sugar, it'd be 2.5 ounces by weight.

I don't know why I don't weigh DME, but always weigh sugar. I have no idea how many ounces .75 cups of DME is, but I've used that amount in kegging and it's perfect! :drunk:

Thanks . one more situation if you can offer some advice :
i have set and forget method 2 weeks at 10 psi at 35deg. then 12psi at 38 degrees for the past 6 days. just drew a beer and seems still some what flat, no lacing on the side . suggestions

For DME, boiling 3/4 cup of DME in 2 cups of water and then adding to the keg with the beer should set you up just fine. For sugar, it'd be 2.5 ounces by weight.

I don't know why I don't weigh DME, but always weigh sugar. I have no idea how many ounces .75 cups of DME is, but I've used that amount in kegging and it's perfect! :drunk:

I just weighed it. 3/4 cup of DME is 4.3 oz dry weight.

Back