Keg Carbonation Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hockeygreg44

Reaction score
So I brewed a Northern Brewer Irish Red Ale a few weeks back and I just transferred to a keg last week Sunday. (it was my first time kegging.) I transferred right to the keg with no priming sugar and hooked my CO2 tank right up to it at 17psi. I then rolled the keg for a few minutes and have been doing the rolling process every few days. I went down yesterday to pour a glass to taste and initially it looked really good with a nice head, but after a few minutes, it tasted kind of flat. Did I do something wrong? What can I do to give my beer more carbonation? Thanks in advance!

If you're going to do the shake/roll method at room temp, crank it to 30psi. I usually give it a good shake at 30psi for about 45 seconds, bleed the pressure, then put it in the keezer at 10psi and wait a week.

Everyone has different ways of force carbonating. That's the way that's been working for me for about 8 months.

If you're getting foam but tastes flat, you've probably over carbonated it. As funny as it sounds, over carbonation does that. Also, how long are your beer lines? If they are too short, it's forcing the co2 out of solution causing foam with little to no carbonation left in your beer. If you do the shake and roll method, I'd recommend setting it at your serving pressure (ex. 12psi) and shake it until you hear no more gas entering. That way, there is no possible way of over carbing your beer.

If you're getting foam but tastes flat, you've probably over carbonated it. As funny as it sounds, over carbonation does that. Also, how long are your beer lines? If they are too short, it's forcing the co2 out of solution causing foam with little to no carbonation left in your beer. If you do the shake and roll method, I'd recommend setting it at your serving pressure (ex. 12psi) and shake it until you hear no more gas entering. That way, there is no possible way of over carbing your beer.

Yes, that's what I think. It could be flat because it's overcarbed. The co2 gets knocked out due to turbulence from the fast pour, so you get a big foamy head and seemingly flat beer.

Rolling it at 17 psi for several days would certainly overcarb the beer, if it was at fridge temperatures.

Short lines (under 8-10') will make the problem worse.

For now, take it off of the gas and pull the pressure relief valve whenever you think about it.

If it's not at fridge temps, and instead just at cellar temps, I'd suggest leaving it alone (NO shaking!!!!!!) and consult a carbonation chart to make sure it should be kept at 17 psi.

Back