Keg carbonation (or not) and storage

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

balky

Reaction score
Hi everyone. I have a beer in a secondary fermentor ready to be put into a keg for a party in 4 weeks. I'm comfortable with carbonation, etc. I only have one fridge which acts as either a fermentation chamber (have a temp controller on it) or a fridge when I have finished fermenting and want to keg and drink!
This is the first time I want to store a keg in the wardrobe, as I want to utilise the fridge to ferment another brew. A coupe of questions:
1) when I siphon the beer to the keg, can I just seal it up and store it in the wardrobe? Or should I cool it and carbonate it like I usually do?
2) If I carbonate it like I usually do in the fridge, can it return to room temp and be stored? Will I then be able to re-chill and put the gas back on at serving pressure?
3) Or should I carbonate at room temp, store in wardrobe and then cool it and put the gas on at serving pressure?
Hope that makes sense?! In a nutshell, what should I do with the beer once I have it in the keg as I won't be storing it in the fridge until I'm ready to serve it.
Cheers

Usually priming in the keg requires roughly half the priming sugar as bottling, so be sure to compensate for that and also purge the keg once filled with co2. Let it sit at room temperature for three weeks and then put into your fridge at serving pressure.

I am in the same dilemma that you are in. I need to keg a few beers for one gathering in October and a few beers for a gathering in November. I have enough kegs, but not enough space to carbonate via CO2. I decided to keg each of the beers and carbonate and condition them at room temperature using priming sugar. I think that it will work out well. From what I have read, the only drawback to this will be that there will be some sediment for the first pint or so for each keg. I am comfortable with that.

Mark

Back