Keg carbing and serving pressure

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SirSpectre

Reaction score
Question for everyone:

What do you do when serving pressure is higher than carb pressure?

I have 10' line with a 18 inch rise from my keezer to my taps, so by my math it needs 15 PSI to serve. My beer needs 11 psi to carb.

3/16 vinyl tubing.

Would I have to go to a bigger hose to keep the pressure down?

Don't put too much stock in the results you get from these kinds of calculations. They're a great tool to get you in the ballpark, and to do sanity checks, but that's about it. I am pretty sure it will pour just fine if you set it at 11psi. If it's too slow, shorten the line a bit to reduce the resistance.

Serve at 11psi; unless you are running a bar full of rednecks and bikers, a slow pour is better.

I reduced the pressure, but it looks like a stream coming out. Not that full nozzle poor that looks so good. Like pouring water out of a glass slowly. Is that OK?

Is it filling your glass within a reasonable time?
Are you able to get reasonable head on the pour (i.e., present, but not 2/3 of the glass)?
Is the beer properly carbonated at your desired serving temperature?

If you see bubbles in the line, I'd look into that, but if you answer yes to the above questions I'd think you're A-OK.

I think some of the issue here is there is a 3' dip in the keezer before it exits as well. I think i'll need to shorten the lines actually inside the keezer. But so far it seems to be better. I'll have a freshly carbed beer this weekend to try out.

I coil the lines and lay them on top of each keg. 10 ft is not that long, if you really want to shorten them just be sure you don't go too far or you'll get foaming, a lot less fun to deal with than a slow pour. I'd leave them alone. Plus you might have some beers on tap some day that you want to serve with higher carbonation.

Back