Keg Carb temp vs. serving temp

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FenoMeno

Reaction score
When using a carb'ing chart, should I be using PSI setting for the lowest temp I carb at (31*F) or my pouring temp of 38*?

Current method is crash cooling beer to 30'ish, transfer to keg and using the chart for that temp, wait about a week. Then bring up to serving temp and revisit chart for new psi setting, wait another week.

Is there any advantage to this (time/clarity?) or should I just set serving temp/chart psi and wait...? I understand the colder beer will absorb easier, but if you're going to serve it warmer, how do I make that transition?

I don't see a problem with the way you are doing it. You should use the pressure for the temp the beer is actually at, for the carb level you want. Since the pressure will be lower at the lower temp, you don't really have to worry about over carbing when raising the temp. I don't know if there is any advantage to doing things your way, and it is a little more complicated than simple set and forget.

Brew on :mug:

I don't see a problem with the way you are doing it. You should use the pressure for the temp the beer is actually at, for the carb level you want. Since the pressure will be lower at the lower temp, you don't really have to worry about over carbing when raising the temp. I don't know if there is any advantage to doing things your way, and it is a little more complicated than simple set and forget.

I was told by initially carbing as cold as possible, it would shave off several days to reach vol's you want. I read about cold crashing out of the conical to keg, so I do that and thought perhaps that was then the temp I should carb at

It's well known that beer (and water) will absorb more CO2 at a given pressure at lower temperatures, but I have never seen any compelling or authoritative reports that CO2 actually absorbs faster at lower temperatures (although it is a common belief that it does.) The charts tell you what the equilibrium carbonation level is for different pressures and temperatures. If the beer's carb level is lower than the chart value for the current temp and pressure, the beer will absorb more CO2. If the carb level is higher than the equilibrium value, then the beer will lose CO2. The charts give absolutely no information on rates of CO2 absorption or desorption.

"I have never seen any compelling or authoritative reports that CO2 actually absorbs faster at lower temperatures (although it is a common belief that it does.)"

Thanks, CZ.
So the cold crashing prior the transfer that seems to be the common practice (and I always do) is simply for clarity? Yes?
--- :D Kinda funny how we "hear/read" things and they become common practice. I am guilty, though do my best to research the best I can, the reasons for the methods.

"I have never seen any compelling or authoritative reports that CO2 actually absorbs faster at lower temperatures (although it is a common belief that it does.)"

Thanks, CZ.
So the cold crashing prior the transfer that seems to be the common practice (and I always do) is simply for clarity? Yes?
--- :D Kinda funny how we "hear/read" things and they become common practice. I am guilty, though do my best to research the best I can, the reasons for the methods.

Yes, that would be the only benefit that I could think of.

I don't cold crash beforehand, since I go from the fermenter to the keg and putting it in the kegerator is a cold crash right there. My kegerator is at 40 degrees, and my regulator is at 12 psi, and it carbs up while it's sitting in there.

Back