Keg beer temperature???

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Allekornbrauer

Reaction score
Hello my beer temp coming out of my keg is at 41f to 42f I measured the pour. Now I have my inkbird itc-308 set to 36f with a 3 degree differential an I have the probe tape to the side of my keg an it’s insulated . So my question why is there this disparity Between what my set temp of 36f an my pouring temp of 41f-42f. I am guessing a serving temp of 41f -42f isn’t to bad

42f is what i drink it at.....not nessasarily by choice, it just doesn't pour well at 30f...i'd imagine anything in between would be fine....

edit: but if you controller ain't acurate, set it lower?

Your lines and faucet may be warmer than your kegs. A fan in your keezer/kegerator will help keep the lines the same temperature as the kegs/beer. But the faucet is outside the unit and will likely always be a bit warmer than the beer on at least the first part of the pour. In the end though if the beer in your glass isn't the temperature you like then turn down the temperature. You have a long way to go before you need to worry about freezing the beer. I routinely cold crash mine at 28F.

Your lines and faucet may be warmer than your kegs. A fan in your keezer/kegerator will help keep the lines the same temperature as the kegs/beer. But the faucet is outside the unit and will likely always be a bit warmer than the beer on at least the first part of the pour. In the end though if the beer in your glass isn't the temperature you like then turn down the temperature. You have a long way to go before you need to worry about freezing the beer. I routinely cold crash mine at 28F.

Hello here my kegging set-up

Hello here my kegging set-up

OK so what I said before doesn't completely apply to your situation. I can't tell if that is a mini fridge or mini freezer if it is a mini fridge you may already be as cold as it will get. Chilled glasses as suggested by @Beermeister32 is a good option if you want colder beer.

You can still try setting the Inkbird lower and see if it will get the beer any colder. You might also check the calibration on the inkbird. Put the probe in a glass of ice water (mostly ice) and see what it reads. If it tells you ice water is 27F you know it is reading 5 degrees low and you are really controlling your beer to 41F when you thought you were controlling it to 36.

Or you could drink the beer at 42°F and actually get to enjoy its taste. Just saying... ;)

fiwiw, I think cold dulls flavor. Keeping the beer cold in the kegerator slows down biological process to a near stall so your beer will stay fresh longer.

Once poured is a whole new game. Firstly, beer will be warming the entire time you drink it, so ask yourself if the first sip was much different from the last. Backwash aside I suspect when the beer is in that 45° - 55° range it's pretty darn good.

so, IMO you have nothing to be concerned about with the pour temp.

+1 on a fan to blow cold air up the tap tower (if you have a tower and no fan). It's a super easy DIY with a phone charger, drill and computer fan. I use some vinyl tubing to force cold air up the tower and in the summer there is a lot of condensation.

Once last fwiw, my mini fridge DIY kegerator holds steady at 42°. I have not bothered to see if there is a dial I can adjust nor beef up the insulation.

OK so what I said before doesn't completely apply to your situation. I can't tell if that is a mini fridge or mini freezer if it is a mini fridge you may already be as cold as it will get. Chilled glasses as suggested by @Beermeister32 is a good option if you want colder beer.

You can still try setting the Inkbird lower and see if it will get the beer any colder. You might also check the calibration on the inkbird. Put the probe in a glass of ice water (mostly ice) and see what it reads. If it tells you ice water is 27F you know it is reading 5 degrees low and you are really controlling your beer to 41F when you thought you were controlling it to 36.

Yes’m I put a glass in my mini refrigerator last night with my keg set-up for a few hours an I pour me a glass an took the temp an it read 38f so thank u for the tips

Back