Keg as Secondary??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stbnj

Reaction score
I want to use a corny keg as a secondary for dry hopping. My question is should the lid seal enough on its own to be used this way? The only keg I have picked up so far came with a race track lid and the kid just sits loose, the oring doesn't even come into contact with the keg when I "close" it. My lhbs says that I can swap it but that they will all be like this unless I put gas on it. I would think that a regular oval lid with the rubber feet would provide a seal for use as a secondary. So is my LHBS right or do I just need to get an oval lid with the rubber feet on the closure? Thanks!

Do you not have co2? I suppose it'd be like a carboy without the purge, but there should be some sort of seal to be safe...i would at least put some sanitized tin foil between the lid and keg and try and create a seal.

An oval lid will not fit a keg with a racetrack lid. They are different shapes and are not compatible. If there is a problem with the lids, you can get a rebuilt one from kegconnection.com pretty cheap. http://stores.kegconnection.com/Detail.bok?no=453

Even without gas pressure on it, you should be able to get "close" to a seal. If you close the lid and it still is extrememly loose, then something is definitely wrong, but without pics or additional information, I don't know if I can offer any other suggestions...

Edit: One other thing. I know some people with similar problems have putt items like coins or washers between the lid sealing arm and the keg surface to provide additional thickness to help the lid seal...

Thanks! I took it back today and returned it for a pin lock with an oval lid. Funny thing is this keg is the same height as my ball lock was, its a Cornelius Keg and was made for 7 Up, says it on the keg. I will just convert it to ball lock when I get a chance, its provides a nice tight seal though without co2.

Back