Keg as a secondary...?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brewawan

Reaction score
If I use proper sanitation techniques, can I rack from a primary glass carboy to a corny keg for dry hopping? I'm trying to eliminate a step later when I'll rack from secondary to the keg. I was planning on keeping my hop bag in the o-ring seal, then pull out when I'm ready to carbonate. Has anyone tried something like this before?

Yup. You get better aroma and its less mess to clean up. (each bubble you see on your air lock is aroma lost) I normally keep the hops in the keg even when i carb it and put it in the Kegerator. The first pour may have hop sediment but the rest is clear.

I normally dont consider it "secondary" as much as ageing it a week before i hook it up to the tap. A secondary isnt really needed.

Or you could try just simply adding them to your primary a few days or a week before you move it. Lately i have been tossing pellet hops in the primary after fermentation is done and then transferring after a few days, recently had a beer that I sucked alot of hop particles into the keg. Thought I had a problem coming, but they settled out fine, w/ a bit of time and the beer pours clear.

Back