Keg and beer line cleaning

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RNBEERGUY

Reaction score
question I have a keg and keezer and I realize I haven’t cleaned my beer lines in a while I used to run pbw and starsan from the keg under CO2 does anyone have better tips though ? Please share your process especially with beer line as I want my next beer to be spectacular :)

2-keg Kegerator here, and honestly I've never had an issue running the same cleaning method as you are presently - PBW and Starsan has always worked well for me - I clean each time a change a keg, or every other keg depending on how lazy I feel that day.

I use stuff from a draft equipment wholesaler locally called super no rinse. Cleaner/sanitizer for commercial line cleaning that out draft techs at annheuser Busch used in all our on premise accounts. I setup a recirculating draft line cleaner w an aquarium pump from amazon to save on co2

I have a 3 tap keezer. After a keg is kicked, I run clean water thru the tap, hoses, etc to remove any sediment (even though I cold crash, just geletin there is quite a bit of sediment). Then, I'll recycle PBW or beer line cleaner thru things probably for 5 minutes. Once done, I run clean water thru the tap, hoses, etc to remove any traces of PBW or beer line cleaner.

Might be more than I need, but I'd rather be safe than sorry.

I did the DIY pump sprayer and Firestone post project I found here on HBT. It uses only a few parts and is pretty ingenious. I'll see if I can find the link. Please hold...

Found it. Here is the LINK. This is a dandy little contraption that works like a champ. Pretty cheap too. Highly recommended.

Last edited:
I did the DIY pump sprayer and Firestone post kit I found on HBT. I'll see if I can find the link. Please hold...

Found it. Here is the LINK. This is a dandy little contraption that works like a champ. Pretty cheap too. Highly recommended.

Sorry, but I don't like. Working hard. Use a pond pump. Often on sale at Amazon, et al.

Don't apologize. Cleaning isn't one size fits all. Truth be told, I'd rather not drag a bucket, pump, hoses, etc. out every time I want to clean my lines.

OK, then run a hose from the tap to the QD, then run a hose from the tap to the sink. Flush until clean. Probably, I'd imagine, clean. However, I'd dissemble the QD and clean it too.

@Tobor_8thMan That's assuming you have a sink close to your taps (shameless plug) . If I did, your pump deal would be amazing and I would jump on that train. Otherwise, my little manual labor pump and a pint glass works pretty well. You're right though. If I could take the work out of the equation, I totally would.

@Tobor_8thMan That's assuming you have a sink close to your taps (shameless plug) . If I did, your pump deal would be amazing and I would jump on that train. Otherwise, my little manual labor pump and a pint glass works pretty well. You're right though. If I could take the work out of the equation, I totally would.
Why does there need to be a sink by the taps? I put a quart of hot water in a tupperware-like container (could use a pitcher or pot, or whatever's convienent) and measure out the right amount (a tablespoon, i think?) of BLC for it. I walk down to the basement carrying that just as easily as I'd carry a beer back up the stairs, put my mini pond pump in it (cheap thing from amazon), and plug it in. A piece of vinyl tubing happens to fit both the pond pump and the inside of my beer faucet very well.

question I have a keg and keezer and I realize I haven’t cleaned my beer lines in a while I used to run pbw and starsan from the keg under CO2 does anyone have better tips though ? Please share your process especially with beer line as I want my next beer to be spectacular :)
I found the best method is using a Beckett Corp. submersible fountain pump connected to the beer line. The pump is placed in a plastic bowl filled with BLC solution (1.5 Tablespoons in 48 oz. water) and placed under the tap faucet. Start pump, open faucet, and recirculate for 15 minutes. This allows you to do other tasks while the beer line cleans. I do rinse out the line first with warm water before using the cleaning solution. When the line is cleaned, it is flushed out again before tapping the next keg. Repeat after each empty keg.
20190817_130341~2.jpeg

Sorry, just trying to get over the didn't have a bucket question and dealing with the "FloppyKnockers" name...

Who questioned about not having a bucket? Buckets are a way of life!

There's a whole support group for my name if you're interested in sitting in on a meeting. Floppynonymous meets weekly - we don't judge and we have beer.

Why does there need to be a sink by the taps? I put a quart of hot water in a tupperware-like container (could use a pitcher or pot, or whatever's convienent) and measure out the right amount (a tablespoon, i think?) of BLC for it. I walk down to the basement carrying that just as easily as I'd carry a beer back up the stairs, put my mini pond pump in it (cheap thing from amazon), and plug it in. A piece of vinyl tubing happens to fit both the pond pump and the inside of my beer faucet very well.

There doesn't need to be a sink, that was just a point in the conversation when somebody said "then run a hose from the tap to the sink". I just use a plastic container for the waste liquid.

I found the best method is using a Beckett Corp. submersible fountain pump connected to the beer line. The pump is placed in a plastic bowl filled with BLC solution (1.5 Tablespoons in 48 oz. water) and placed under the tap faucet. Start pump, open faucet, and recirculate for 15 minutes. This allows you to do other tasks while the beer line cleans. I do rinse out the line first with warm water before using the cleaning solution. When the line is cleaned, it is flushed out again before tapping the next keg. Repeat after each empty keg.View attachment 642482

I think that's awesome and may look into that if pumping the pump gets too laborious. In the meantime, lifting 16 oz of beer and pumping a cleaner pump is considered cross-fit in my house.

My method is simple...

I mix my BLC solution in the sprayer and connect it to my beer line. Pump it several times...
IMG_20190901_172849.jpg

Then open the tap and let it run for 15 - 20 seconds.

IMG_20190901_172905.jpg

Shut the tap and let it sit and soak for about 30 minutes or so... (door closed, of course)
IMG_20190901_172832.jpg

Then refill the sprayer with cold water and flush the lines.

Has worked like a champ for me for years. I may look into the pump option if my cross-fit regime gets too tiring.

Attachments

• IMG_20190901_172905.jpg
    IMG_20190901_172905.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 48
My method is simple...

I mix my BLC solution in the sprayer and connect it to my beer line. Pump it several times...
View attachment 642497

Then open the tap and let it run for 15 - 20 seconds.

View attachment 642499

Shut the tap and let it sit and soak for about 30 minutes or so... (door closed, of course)
View attachment 642500

Then refill the sprayer with cold water and flush the lines.

Has worked like a champ for me for years. I may look into the pump option if my cross-fit regime gets too tiring.

My setup is very similar except I use a 1 gallon pump sprayer from Walmart and instead of the Firestone adapter I use one of my ball lock carbonation caps. Take the nozzle/gun off the pump sprayer, and the 1/4" line slips right over the barb on the carb cap, which goes right into my ball lock disconnect. For Sanke cleaning or flushing my jockey box I can use a 1/4" tailpiece instead of the carb cap.

I have a very crappy econo cleaner...it became easier to just disassemble the entire line, keg, shank, faucet and liquid QD each time a keg kicks...
Honestly I don't use PBW everytime...just warm water and star San..
May do PBW every so often since the faucet gets gunky after the forward seal

On a killed keg, I used to run a recirculating bucket of PBW then Star-San through a pond pump on the lines. I found this OK for the lines but not very effective on the Perlick taps.
Now I disassemble both the taps and the lines and soak in a bucket of PBW/ Star-San. It's not really any extra work and seems to be more effective..
YMMV....

I use a hand pump with cleaner I got with my Kegco conversion kit. I don't use PBW since its supposed to be more corrosive on plastic and lines. I pump through a keg and out of the line, rinse then do the same with Starsan. I leave starsan in the line until my next keg.

I leave starsan in the line until my next keg.
I've had issues with starsan leaving a slimy residue that wont rinse away when I've left items to soak in it for long periods. Have you ever noticed anything accumulating in your lines? Are you mixing the starsan solution with distilled or RO water? I use RO and still get residue.

I've had issues with starsan leaving a slimy residue that wont rinse away when I've left items to soak in it for long periods. Have you ever noticed anything accumulating in your lines? Are you mixing the starsan solution with distilled or RO water? I use RO and still get residue.

I am just using Purified water out of the bottle. I don't use the house tap for anything since Im on well water. Ive never noticed any accumulation either.

5-Star says the slimyness is due to the surfactants coming out of solution. It doesn't matter what type of water you're using.
To eliminate the slimy feel, you only need to immerse for about one minute to sanitize. Parts left in Sar-San too long will eventually become damaged.

I have a pancake air compressor that I use for tools, air guns ETC. I bought a few fittings for it and I pump cleaner through the lines the same way you would with CO2. I use oxy clean and tsp, then water, then star San. I take apart the tap every time.

Back