Kefir cheese and cracking as it dries

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bernardsmith

Reaction score
Quick question. I am making a block of kefir cheese and had it under pressure for 3 days. it's now air drying (our apt is hot - we have no control over the temperature in winter because this is a high rise). The cheese is cracking as it dries. Does anyone who has experience with hard cheeses know why it might crack and what I need to do in the future to prevent this. Not going to be a huge problem for this block as I was not intending to "age" this cheese more than about a week but cosmetically, it would like much better if it did not have these cracks. BUT, insofar as the cracks are appearing does this point to an underlying problem that I need to address next time? Thanks.

Cracks form when the cheese dries too fast. It's usually a result of low humidity. Try raising the humidity by putting a colander over the cheese or even a cardboard box with a few small holes in it for air exchange. Some small cracks can be repaired by wrapping the cheese in damp cheesecloth and changing the cloth as it dries.

Hi Bernard, I’d love to know your cheese making process from milk kefir! How much pressure do you add? How large are the wheels and do you use cheese plates? If you have a photo of the finished results I’d love to know! I wonder why hard cheese from kefir isn’t well documented.

I make all my cheeses using kefir made from grains to culture the milk. Never buy freeze dried cultures, but that means that between times I need to feed the grains, but I am not a fan of kefir as a food, so I collect about a gallon of kefir every couple of weeks (I need only about a half cup of kefir to culture a gallon of milk).
I allow this to drain over about 24 hours through quality cheese cloth and then I place that bundle under about 4 lbs of pressure for about 8- 12 hours. I then double the pressure for another 8- 12 hours. I then salt and herb the cheese and then scoop this into a mold. The cheese is then pressed under 16 lbs for about 4 hours, then 30 lbs for about 8, then about 45 lbs for 8 and then about 60 lbs for another 24 hours. I then release the cheese and allow it to air dry for two or three days at room temperature (The cheese I make in my basement which is about 60 F. Room temp in my kitchen is about 68 during the day and 60 overnight).
This is the only shot I have. You can see, I think, that it is quite crumbly, and not smooth like cheddar. The thing is that the kefir is quite acidic and the cheese has no added rennet because I cannot obtain any break - clean or otherwise, so the wheel is formed only through pressure. Others may have a different process.

Attachments

• kefir.JPG
    kefir.JPG
    543.9 KB · Views: 17
Last edited:
Back