Keezer ventilation question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bzomerlei

Reaction score
Been searching the various 'keezer' build threads and I understand that I need to keep an air gap around the vertical skin of the freezer to allow it to work as designed.

I seen that Jester369 built a stand with a fan and air channels to ventilate the skin, but I'm wondering if a passive ventilation system would work. I'm thinking along the lines of having a 1" gap with venting at the bottom and near the top where the collar will go. Would there be enough air flow from convection current to allow the freezer to work properly? Anyone tried this?

Brent

I am in the process of trying it now. I am opting to not have the fan. Leaving a 1" gap all the 1.5" gap all the way around with an open bottom, other than the frame itself of course. It will be raised on casters. In my case, mine will always be backed up to a wall so I am leaving the back completely open.

I'm planning on encasing the freezer in a bar. Below is a Google Sketchup of what I'm planning. I can place a fan inside, but would rather cool the skin passively.

wetbar1.jpg

I'm planning on encasing the freezer in a bar. Below is a Google Sketchup of what I'm planning. I can place a fan inside, but would rather cool the skin passively.

wetbar1.jpg
How are you going about changing the kegs in that setup? Will part of the bar swing open?

wetbar1.jpg

I am looking to do something very similar, thinking of building an island type setup using a keezer with a butcher block top and a 3 tower setup. My roommate is a cabinet maker so he already has some ideas. Any change of sharing that google sketchup, I have been working with it, but am still struggling and yours is 80% of what I am thinking of doing.

How are you going about changing the kegs in that setup? Will part of the bar swing open?
It looks like to me that the keezer is stand alone with line leaving the collar to the faucets. With slack in lines the keezer is free to roll out on its own. I love this idea. Simple, hidden yet leaves the faucet area (coffin box) capable of being designed many different ways. My question...how do you plan to cool the beer lines after departing the keezer?

It looks like to me that the keezer is stand alone with line leaving the collar to the faucets. With slack in lines the keezer is free to roll out on its own. I love this idea. Simple, hidden yet leaves the faucet area (coffin box) capable of being designed many different ways. My question...how do you plan to cool the beer lines after departing the keezer?

First, I plan on hinging the lid directly above the freezer. I have the coffin box located on part of the bar that is not hinged. The plan is to 'extend' the collar frame underneath the coffin box and run air channel in a loop for the beer lines. The air loop will be fully insulated and powered by a small computer fan.

I also intend on creating a fermentation chamber in the bar that will be cooled by similar air ducting. The fan for this ducting will be controlled by a love controller so I can set the temperature between room temp and the temp the keezer is running.

Here is an updated picture. I have sketched out the air ducting on paper, I just have not tried to do it in sketchup.
wetbar2.jpg

Any change of sharing that google sketchup, I have been working with it, but am still struggling and yours is 80% of what I am thinking of doing.

Take a look at the video tutorials on youtube. I picked up some great tips on using it. The best tip was using layers, this will allow you to add to your drawing without changing stuff you do not want accidentally changed. If you are still interested in the file, send me a PM with your email and I'll send it to you.

Brent

Take a look at the video tutorials on youtube. I picked up some great tips on using it. The best tip was using layers, this will allow you to add to your drawing without changing stuff you do not want accidentally changed. If you are still interested in the file, send me a PM with your email and I'll send it to you.

Brent

At this point I have a better handle on it, got a decent mockup ready for my setup. You are right, the tutorials are helpful.

Back