Keezer question - collar

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fourfivesix

Reaction score
Just wanted to get everyone's opinion... I have a spruce keezer collar on my 14.8 cu. ft. chest freezer, and it's attached with silicone. I never bothered to stain or seal the wood. Is polyurethane necessary or can I get by without it?

Thanks

Not a wood expert here but I had a chest freezer converted and kept in my basement in Wisconsin and over the summer with the humidity in the air and my freezer lid cracked open to let an air hose in I did get a lot of condensation in the converter freezer on the inside. I didn't have it collared but I'd be concerned if you are in an area of the country that has high humidity in the summer. If I were you I'd consider sealing the collar but you should have plenty of time to do it before indoor humidity levels would rise. Do you have any holes in the collar that are open to the air?

Not a wood expert here but I had a chest freezer converted and kept in my basement in Wisconsin and over the summer with the humidity in the air and my freezer lid cracked open to let an air hose in I did get a lot of condensation in the converter freezer on the inside. I didn't have it collared but I'd be concerned if you are in an area of the country that has high humidity in the summer. If I were you I'd consider sealing the collar but you should have plenty of time to do it before indoor humidity levels would rise. Do you have any holes in the collar that are open to the air?

Only holes in there are for the shanks and one for the probe wire to go into. All of the holes are sealed up well. I suppose I could wait until it starts to warm up before I put a polyurethane coat on it, but I don't know if it's worth the risk of messing up the collar

Back