Keezer Q: Hinges inside vs. outside

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Willsellout

Reaction score
So I scored a 12 cu kenmore freezer off of CL for 25 bucks. It could probably hold as many as 6 cornies so I was pretty psyched. When I was cleaning it out I noticed that the hinges are on the inside and go in and out of the lid when I open and close. I'm thinking I'm going to have to remove the underside of the lid and take off whatever is keeping these lid "hooks" in place and possibly use a saw to cut the hooks to get them out of the way. I was thinking then I could get some hinges and screw them into the lid but will there be lines running in the lid? I would think the answer would be no but I wanted to make sure. It does have a light in the lid but other than that I would think it's just insulation.
If this is unclear, let me know, I can take pictures of it and post if you need.

Thanks!

Dan

I've never seen a lid that had coolant lines in it. If you go with external hinges, be aware that many lids are nothing more than a sheet of foam with very thin metal over it. Something like a piano hinge would spread the torque.

Back