Keezer no longer reaching target temp

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

3toes

Reaction score
Need some Keezer troubleshooting help...

I noticed over the weekend that my temp controller was reading in the low 40*Fs with the keezer constantly on. I have the controller set to 34*F, and it just isn't able to get there it seems. I noticed that the back wall has frost up near the collar, but nowhere else does. Also, I have a PC fan mounted and running inside to keep the air circulating.

I'm really hoping the coils didn't crap out on me...

Any suggestions?

^agreed^
Constant running with localized frosting - especially when it's located in one upper corner - is a classic indicator of low refrigerant.
Sadly, in general there's no economic support for repair (even if possible) due to how much technicians get for simply testing, never mind finding the leak, fixing same, replacing the receiver/drier unit, vacuum purging the system, and then refilling it.

There is a possibility to keep the unit running - essentially life support - until a replacement is ready.
Check out my thread here.

Sorry...

Yes, unless you can fix it yourself it's cheaper to just buy a new freezer. Having a tech just walk in your door will cost $150.

Unlike most of last year, when refrigeration appliances were in short supply, fridges and freezers are once again abundant and reasonably priced.

I was in the Sam’s Club in Billings, MT a few days ago and small chest freezers were, literally, stacked up like firewood. 7 cu ft freezers were $199 and 9 cu ft models were $249. If one already had the draft system hardware, swapping that over to a new appliance would be pretty painless.

Bullit piercing valve and a can of auto 134a refrigerant plus 20 minutes of your time . How to videos on YouTube. I revived 2 9 cu ft chest freezers and 2 full sized kitchen sized refrigerators with this method, it’s easier than you think. My aunt has a 1965 Electrolux freezer that had not worked for over 20 years, she wanted it removed from her enclosed porch , I recharged that freezer and she uses it everyday and that was 3 yrs ago.

Blarg... That's what I was afraid of.

I'm not too worried about having to replace it, except for the fact that I have a great brewery sticker collection on the lid of it. So unless I can find the exact model, so long stickers... Oh, and the collar I built as well, though that I'm not as worried about since I didn't do any fancy staining or anything like that.

Thanks for being the bearers of bad news, I appreciate the realism!

Could easily be true - I was adding ~30 grams every 10 days as "K2" neared its end. That was almost 50% of capacity, iirc...

Cheers!

Less than 10 bucks and 20 min time
If it's low on freon, it's leaking unless it sat for a long time. His didn't. any freon added will leak back out.

Your aunts freezer didn't work for 20 years meaning it sat for a while. Seals can dry out and cause small leaks. Once you juice it back up that causes oil to start moving around the system and can sel it back up.

You need a self piercing valve and a manifold to add refrigerant, I almost lost a kegerator due to this but fixed it in 10 minutes and now use it as a fermentation chamber

Back