Keezer Line Length and Carb Questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Roycebarrow

just getting by, one beer at a time!
Reaction score
So, I built a keezer last year, and I have ran a lot of kegs through this thing. I have been through the sticky threads but have not found anything for what I would like to know. I like to have my beer carbed a little higher than normal. I don't know why, just do. That being said, Whether I force carb, or naturally prime, after about a week the beer goes flat. I have noticed that once the keg is down to the last quarter, it seems to be carbonated to my liking. I have used line balancer calculations and all of that stuff, but pretty much they say with my specs, I would need 3.7 feet of 3/16 tubing. I could barely get away with 6 psi on a 6 foot line. I had 10 ft lines laying around so I swapped them out this past weekend The beer is able to get to about 9 psi now, but any more than that and it pours a lot of foam. I was hoping to get the beer to 14 psi or so to see how that effects the carbonation level, but is not possible due to the foaming situation. So, anyone out there have any tips for this? I am always going in circles adjusting my psi, and there has to be a better way. The next step would be to purchase some perlick flow controls. Thanks

Set and forget at 14 psi for the correct carbonation. With burst or naturally carbing you can't be sure what pressure you end up with.

Use 14ft of 3/16th line. Get some cheap vinyl stuff from the hardware store. The only problem with too long lines is the pour will be slow.

If the foaming is only in the first pour then it's a problem with your line temperature.

Length calculator:
http://www.mikesoltys.com/2012/09/17/determining-proper-hose-length-for-your-kegerator/

Carbing chart:
http://www.kegerators.com/carbonation-table.php

Thanks PKRD, it does seem like it would be fine after the first pour. That is the foam. After that the beer seems to be flowing smoothly. The calculators I was using from another thread said 3.7 ft but I think that would be crazy amounts of foam. but then again, I haven't tried it.
I have a fan in my keezer but I never run it to cool the lines down, I guess I will turn it on for awhile and see if it makes a difference. I that what you do typically?:mug:

Back