Keezer insulation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ExHempKnight

Reaction score
Just an idea...

I know a fridge or freezer is more efficient when it's full (more thermal mass). I've heard of people filling a partially full freezer with Styrofoam to make it more efficient. This gave me an idea.

I'm building a 4-corny keezer, and was pondering making a foam insert for it. The insert would basically fill the whole keezer, with a hole to hold each corny, and another for the CO2 bottle.

I think that in addition to helping the keezer be more efficient, I'm thinking this would also help reduce stratification. I know I could accomplish this by using a fan inside the keezer, but sometimes I like taking a different approach.

Thoughts?

Just an idea...

I know a fridge or freezer is more efficient when it's full (more thermal mass). I've heard of people filling a partially full freezer with Styrofoam to make it more efficient. This gave me an idea.

I'm building a 4-corny keezer, and was pondering making a foam insert for it. The insert would basically fill the whole keezer, with a hole to hold each corny, and another for the CO2 bottle.

I think that in addition to helping the keezer be more efficient, I'm thinking this would also help reduce stratification. I know I could accomplish this by using a fan inside the keezer, but sometimes I like taking a different approach.

Thoughts?

Is styrofoam much thermal mass? It seems to be mostly air anyway. If I was looking to go to the extreme here...why wouldn't you just fill the keezer with water?

Back