Keezer: If you had it to build over, what would you change?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HOP-HEAD

Reaction score
Before I build mine, I'm curious what you folks would change about your if you had it to do over?

Size, Collar on the lid versus freezer body, taller collar, more taps, gas in or out...... want to do it "right" the first time.

Larger freezer, mine is 7 cu ft and it would be nice to hold a few more kegs. Ideally I would rather have a commercial beer setup instead of the keezer but I will survive. I have a tower which I prefer. Also would like to have casters on it and will eventually get around to it, but it would be easier to do from the start.

I would do nothing differently and that's rare for any of my projects. There was the one act of stupidity that I had to fix and that was only installing 4 faucets even though the keezer could hold 5 kegs. No matter what, you'll eventually want all the kegs pouring.

Echoing samc. I'd opt for just a little bigger--I can get 3, but it would be better with 4 kegs.

I'd also build my collar a little taller--I think mine is 8 inches now, I'd probably opt for 12 to 18 to give some more clearance at the top. I could rebuild it if I really wanted to, but it's ok as is, and not worth the effort.

I REALLY like the fact that I did mine as a dual hinge. No gluing the top (or collar) on to anything, and I can reconvert it back to regular use anytime I want...

Build it completely before putting in kegs instead of getting it functional then start serving with the plans of finishing later. It's hard to take a keezer out of commission once the taps are flowing. I need to relocate my Love controller probe, want a manifold with check valves on each and on/offs. I would like, and will change too, one less tap than I have room for kegs but as many Gas ports. That way i'd have one ready, cold and carbed once a keg kicked.

Put the faucets close enough together to use a single drip tray. I've built two keezers and on the one for my son, we evenly spaced the faucets, forgetting that if they are far apart, then you will need two drip trays.

I'd also add another tap - I have room for 5-6 kegs and only 3 taps. I had grand ideas about aging beers, but so far that ain't happening. Oh yeah - and...

- insulating the collar with 2" pink foamy stuff - made the temps consistent from top to bottom - no more 42F beer in 48F lines.

- buying the beer line in bulk - like 50'. I started way too short and should have gone the other way - start 2-3' longer than you think and hack off a foot and do a few test pours. It is easier to balance this way than to fiddle the pressure if you are trying to keg at a certain volume of CO2 for style/mouth feel.

- getting a 3 pressure regulator at the start, order 0-15psi gauges from dwyer or other places too. Amazing how a different gauge can help get pressures accurate.

- brewed more beer. This stuff flat disappears in the keezer. I had a few friends over for a 'break the cherry' party on it. 7 gallons later...

- insulating the collar with 2" pink foamy stuff - made the temps consistent from top to bottom - no more 42F beer in 48F lines.

What you're describing is pretty self explanatory (in my mind atleast) but can you post a product link for us that are in the process of gathering parts?

I too am about to go the keezer route if I can get SWMBO to agree. Great thread for us about to start kegging.
IrregularPulse - great idea about 1 less tap but leaving the gas line. I'm planning on getting a 7cuft model that will fit four with a collar and I will totally be doing this except I may include the tap and just not connect it just in case I want to have 4 pouring.
Thanks, I freaking love this place. It fuels my fire. :)

I just bought the GE 7.0cf freezer from Home Despot - it should be here in a couple of days... In the meantime, I've been looking at CHICompany.net, and Keg Connection to try to figure out what exactly I need to make this thing a keezer. But then I'm overwhelmed by all the small parts that I need to make four kegs connect to a dual regulator.:confused:

I already have the BrewLogic two keg kit from Midwest, and I want to have three taps mounted, with four kegs inside.

I want to buy the $36 temp controller, two more Cornys, three 525 Perlicks with handles, but then, how do I make that connect up... Question is, what size shank do I need for a collar that would be about 1.5" thick, how much gas hose should I buy, do I need washers to mount the Perlicks, etc. Also, I have a dual regulator already with my system, any recommendations on gas manifolds (I think I'd want a four way, incase I build a big enough collar to put a 5th tank in the keezer).

Any thoughts are appreciated!

I have only one regret on mine, but if I did it again... I'd probably do it the same way. When I built it, I just put the collar together quickly with the intention of rebuilding the top later to be really nice and paint it black. Well, as another person said, its really hard to take it out of commission once its operational.

What I did the first time that I'm very happy about?
1) Have as many taps as you have room for.
2) Use the smallest collar that will work to save on weight and height. Mine is 1x4.
3) Keep the co2 outside with a line running in. This gives you the ability to get a dual gauge regulator with one gauge just hanging around... trust me it is sooo handy for force carbing, purging containers with co2, etc..
4) With the co2 outside, install an on/off valve somewhere so you can disconnect the co2 without depressurizing the entire system.
5) The ability to have at least two different gas pressures inside the keezer.

I read a LOT beforehand, and did a bunch of research, so I'm pretty happy. Key points are:

20lb tank of CO2
Polystyrene (pink stuff) insulation for the collar
50' roll of Tygon tubing for the beverage line
DampRid
9 cubic foot freezer - four kegs and I can lager a carboy
Lots of kegs

Regarding the shanks - I bought the 4" stainless shanks, and it handles the wood collar and the pink stuff well, it may be a touch too long, but better that than too short! Also, it was the only length available in stainless.

Edit: My CO2 is outside, with a dual reg, so two lines run in to the kegerator.

Larger collar, with insulation.
Add a fan or two inside. I ahve a boatload of computer fans. One or two should do the trick.

1 tap for every keg. Sooner or later you'll have more beer styles than taps and that's no fun!

Shelf for yeast slants. I run my keez at 38*, so it's perfect for slants. Freeing up some freezer space in the kitchen will win points with the lady!

CO2 splitters. I'm using the ones from harbor freight. I have three secondary regs, and they'll all get double fittings. Also, out of my secondary bank, on the high pressure side, I have a 5' piece of air line with a disconnect on it. That way I have a free hose for purging, and sealing kegs when needed. It also works for force carbing.

More Damp rid. I have the small container now and constantly get puddles in the bottom of the keez. I'm hoping the fans help with this as well.

Different seal than I have now. Right now it's the 1/2" vinyl door seal from HD. I'm looking for something a bit thicker. I might glue the edges too. Right now the edges of the seal are just mitred, and there's a slight gap.

Things I did right, that I wouldn't change for the world:
Stainless shanks and nuts. Anything that touches the beer is stainless. Buy it once and it's good for years.
Perlick Taps. No drips, and they're a breeze to open, even after a few days of sitting.
Two CO2 tanks. Nothing like running out of gas on a Sunday afternoon...
The high pressure (30PSI) disconnect on a long hose. It's really useful!

B

i LOVE mine, but the only thing that i would change is to make the collar just a bit higher. With the compressor hump I am only like an inch short of being able to add another keg / tap or two. :(

Seconding buying beer line in bulk. You'll need at least ~6' per tap and it really is easier to balance your system with the proper line vs fiddling with CO2 pressures.

Get MFL quick disconnects for everything, including a nipple adapter so you can use them on commercial kegs. Makes it a lot easier to make changes, hook up new kegs, etc etc. Stretching beer line over barb's sucks.

Get higher quality faucets, the Perlick's and 'euro' style ones are good.

and lastly don't be afraid of the beer line cleaning chemicals, and use them often. I usually clean once a month and rinse thoroughly. Cleanliness, a balanced system and the right temperatures will make sure you don't have foaming issues and your beer will remain as good as possible.

The only thing I changed was moving the CO2 out. I pre-drilled the holes for two more taps most of the way, but haven't added them yet. You can see the pilot holes on the left and right. In case you are wondering, most of the cornies are in the conditioning cabinet on the left. I favor dark beers and only chill the hoppy ones.

2113-img_1415.jpg

Back