keezer help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

allen3436

Reaction score
So i have a small chest freezer sitting in my basement, been there since i bought two uprights. Anyways I want to make it into a keezer/fermentor. I have a couple questions I'd like to ask all of you. I'm only gonna make it a two draft system but i will put the 3 way gas distributor just in case I add a third keg (if i can fit it). I'm the only one in the house that drinks beer, but we travel extensively in the summer. So my plan is to make 5 gallon batches and bottle 2 gallons and keg the rest. Ive been debating whether or not i should just get 3 gallon ball lock kegs or 5 gallon. I lean towards 5 gallons because in the winter when we dont travel much i can just fill a growler and take it with me when we go visit friends etc. But if i only fill it with 3 gallons how will that effect carbonating the beer with the 2 gallon head space, also will this effect how fast i go through my C02? Next question im only doing 2 taps right now, will a 5lb bottle last a while or should i go with 10lb? I feel like im missing something else i wanted to ask. Anyways thanks for the input!

Do you plan to bottle from the keg or before kegging?

If you bottle after then 5gal kegs would be better. If you bottle before than 3gal would be better.

I would just go with 10lb CO2 tank if you have room for it. The cost to fill a 5lb near me is almost the same as 10lb.

You can put 3gal in a 5gal keg but it will use more CO2 to purge the keg if you use bottled CO2. So if you go with 5gal kegs and only half fill with 3gal go with a 10lb CO2 tank.

I was going to bottle prior to kegging didnt think about bottling after its been kegged and charged with C02.

Back