Keezer help needed

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rock_Toy

Reaction score
In the middle of a keezer build. Will post some pics up shortly.

Anyhow, I have been searching the forums and it appears as though the wiring portion is a lot more complicated than it should be. I have no idea why everyone is creating an additional receptacle in/or on the freezer. As far as I can tell, I just need to replace the existing temp controller with my STC-1000. Right?

So here are some pics of the existing controller. The red wire is power IN straight from the wall (through the LED power indicator). Green is a common neutral. The white jacket coming off the back is the temp probe. Which leaves the black as the power OUT to the compressor. Looks pretty straightforward to me. So in order for me to run the STC-1000, can't I simply replace this controller with that mine and run the wires direct? In other words, run that red and green wire to the STC-1000 (1 & 2) and then run a black wire from 8 to the compressor?

And does anyone know if I can drill through the step inside the Freezer directly to the compressor cabin? Anything that I should be concerned about? I'll seal it up after passing the wire through. Just don't know if there are any coolant lines in there.

Thanks!!!

IMG_3824.jpg

IMG_3823.jpg

The green wire is most likely ground, which should not be used for neutral. You'll also need hot wired to 7.

External boxes are a bit more flexible. They alleviate the need to modify the appliance or to decipher its internal wiring.

Your picture shows the thermostat. Think of it as a switch..

You need a Hot and Neutral connected to 1 & 2,
You could remove the Red and Black from the thermostat and connect them to 7 & 8.
However.. It is and would be much easier to add a box.. :)

Also, as raouliii indicated.. The green is not a common. It is a ground. Do not use it as a common.

Last edited:
The STC should be wired similar to this..
Based on what you are asking, you should remove the black and red wire from
the thermostat and connect them to the STC, effectively disabling the freezers
thermostat.

STC-1000.jpg

There are other options, however...
As mentioned earlier, it would be easier to add a small box, and plug the
Freezer into the box.. You would not have to modify the freezer at all.

Perfect. Exactly what I thought. And I actually think that it's easier and cleaner to do it my way :D

Thoughts on drilling holes in the step of the freezer? I am thinking that I will be ok...

I was thinking of making my keezer have the STC more integrated rather than the current (ha! current) setup of having the extra outlet. Main reasons being that it will be more of a singular contained unit and not have the clutter of having an extra box kicking around behind the thing.

As far as drilling goes many people mount the STC in the compressor "hump" and come out the front of the freezer right where the thermostat is/was or the power indicator light is. It's usually only sheet metal there with no cooling lines. As far as how to get the probe into it, I'd probably have the sensor sneak around and run up the back of the keezer enter through the lid/collar.

Perfect. Exactly what I thought. And I actually think that it's easier and cleaner to do it my way :D

Thoughts on drilling holes in the step of the freezer? I am thinking that I will be ok...

Every freezer is different.
Look at the lines to and from the compressor. If not sure, proceed very cautiously.

An early build (2012) in a 7CF freezer.
We installed an STC-1000 in the freezer lid. Wiring is contained in the lid.
We also used an external relay due to problems with the compressor causing the STC-1000
grief (Intermittent hang, requiring pulling power).

2012-08-28_22-56-00_824.jpg

So looks like it all works. Decided to not cut into the freezer and ran the electrical out the back of the collar. Now I just need my Perlicks and lines to show up so that I can finish this bad boy up.

Here are some pics for fun :rockin:

IMG_3830.jpg

IMG_3831.jpg

wiring-diagram.jpg

I know you already figured it out, but thought this may come in hand for people searching HBT in the future. Nice looking keezer!

Latest posts

Back